Tuesday, January 24, 2012

well parts 1 through 3 of "The Wounds of Discovery" are done

After months of delays due to holidays and eye surgery the next installment of Batman: the Agony of Loss and the Madness of Desire over at Mockingbird should be going up.  At least parts 1 through 3.  "The Wounds of Discovery" should start going up some time this month. 

Every time I think the next part in this project writing about Batman: the animated series should be easier than the last I keep being wrong! I don't want to spoil things in advance but I've been excited to have even parts 1 through 3 done.  Parts 4 and 5 (with a possible 6, depending on how 5 turns out) are still in the works.  If you read the introduction you may remember I opened with a passage from Ecclesiastes that says, "Better what the eye sees than the wandering of desire."  Well, dear readers, you can anticipate a few more passages from Ecclesiastes and maybe a proverb or two to show up for Part 4. 

I know for some people who don't look at cartoons as a serious art forum considering the human condition it won't make sense to tie passages of Hebrew wisdom literature to a superhero cartoon. Well, so it goes, I can't help that. But I hope that if you read my essay on a certain Batman villain you'll appreciate why I open with the proverb that says, "Do you see a man wise in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him" and if you know your Batman lore you will probably have figured out which Batman villain best fits that description! I'm looking forward to "The Wounds of Discovery" getting done and to the new parts going up on Mockingbird.  M-bird is temporarily down, though, so it may take a little time for the essays to go up. Meanwhile I can assure you that at long last I've got some more writing done. 

It's only fitting that this year, the 20th anniversary year of the show, I'm able to write about what makes the show great. It truly is a classic show that changed childrens' entertainment in ways I hope to show in future essays. If it seems staid and slow-moving now I hope that what I wrote in Cartoon Nostalgia, Cartoon Revolutions laid a foundation from the perspective of a child of the 1980s on how revolutionary Paul Dini and Bruce Timm's creation was in the land of kids' shows.  In fact when I get to writing about Two-Face I'll have a chance to explain that even more.  But for now, tune in this month for "The Wounds of Discovery" over at Mockingbird.

End of advertisement for the day. :)

No comments: