One of the undercurrents I've read in back and forth about "classical music" and "popular music" in Anglo-American contexts is a tendency to see these streams of music as inimical. Ethan Hein has commented on how in continental European musical contexts they don't have this hang-up. I made a couple of friends in college from places like Croatia and a number of my favorite contemporary composers are from Bulgaria, Yugoslavia and associated regions.
I wasn't aware of this particular piece, Funky Sonata, until this weekend, but it might be a useful case study for how a guitar duet by a Croatian composer can be described as a sonata but highlight funk and pop influences.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7qg8W3mVCY
https://productionsdoz.com/product/1679-funky-sonata?lg=en_US
Fusions of vernacular and art music has been going on in compositional activity from central and eastern Europe for a generation or two ... it's just that Anglo-American journalists and musicologists may have ... absolutely zero interest in this field of musical activity. As a guitarist/composer who has tried to keep at least a modicum of "tabs" on guitar and chamber music from that region over the last ... I guess it's really been in the zone of fifteen to twenty years now ... there's plenty of music demonstrating how fusions of "high" and "low" are going on in European chamber music and particularly for the guitar (surprise ... not).
Now whether or not you LIKE this Funky Sonata is another matter. I think it's a fun piece even i I might not remember it a few days from now.
No comments:
Post a Comment