Part of me had hoped to have had something actually put together for this day by way of blogging, but I don't. Such is life. But ... I can post links of stuff I've written in the past, a great blog post by Ethan Hein, and share that by way of the back and forth we've had about "Living for the City" which you can see after the break.
Here we are at the 50th anniversary of the release of one of the greatest albums in the history of American popular music and there's no dedicated monograph to the book. Such is academic music theory publishing.
I also wrote a post about Roger Scruton on George Rochberg's contribution to classical music and had a probably too-brief excursion into how in the early 1970s both Rochberg and Stevie Wonder employed code-switching in their musical vocabularies but that "Living for the City" is a more evocative and successful example of code-switching from blues to octatonic vocabularies in "Living for the City" than Rochberg's 3rd string quartet (I actually like both pieces and mean no disrespect to either musician).
finally, there's this homage to Stevie Wonder by way of a guitar sonata in E flat major (standard tuning until the last minute)
No comments:
Post a Comment