http://gospeldrivenchurch.blogspot.com/2011/01/not-calvinistic-enough.html
As it happens, then, the occasional Calvinist's insistence on the exclusivity of the personal gospel -- God/Sin/Christ/Response contra Creation/Fall/Redemption/Consummation -- turns out to be not Calvinistic enough.
This is a salient observation. I don't mind making a polemical observation that piggy-backs off of Jared's comment--if Calvinsts and other Protestant theologians had not spent so many centuries boiling down salvation to a purely personal/transactional understanding of the good news of Jesus then "threats" liked the New Perspective on Paul would have had no breeding ground because the fullness of the Gospel (not to say "the full Gospel" in the old Pentecostal sense) would not have been compromised. Now I know what my Eastern Orthodox relatives might be tempted to say about this. ;) If I'm going to play with ever crossing the river, so to speak, I haven't seen sufficient evidence that Rome has any advantage in antiquity or reliability. As it is, however, I am tempted to quote the German composer Paul Hindemith when he said something like, "I may not be a good Protestant but I am a loyal one." Of course a few years later he converted to Catholicism so maybe I shouldn't say that. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment