The Sound of Utopia: Musicians in the Time of Stalin
Michel Krielaars
Translated by Jonathan Reeder
ISBN 9781805330042
Published 15th January 2026
I haven't picked it up just yet but longtime readers of Wenatchee The Hatchet know I've referenced Zaderatsky's 24 Preludes and Fugues for piano a few times over the years. So this looks like something to add to the read pile later this year I have a bit of a hobby now and then about Soviet era music and composers.
If you haven't heard the Zaderatsky preludes and fugues they are worth a listen. I've considered blogging about or through the Zaderatsky cycle and the Shchedrin cycle but flesh and blood can only pull off so much. I'm still obviously not even half-way done with the big Matiegka guitar sonata project so there's hardly any point in biting off still more than I can chew in analysis.
No comments:
Post a Comment