Coming July 6, 2023 we'll reach the 250th anniversary of the Bohemian composer Wenzeslaus Thomas Matiegka's baptism. I.e. "birth" for practical purposes even though it can be known to happen that a birth and a baptism can be separated by a variable interval.
https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Matiegka,_Wenzel_Thomas
Agustin Maruri has made three recordings featuring Matiegka's music you can find at his discography on his website
http://www.agustinmaruri.com/discografia
Wenzeslaus Thomas Matiegka: Complete Flute And Violin Trios
Sabine Dreier, Anke Dill, Bruce Whitson, Agustín Maruri
https://shop.emecdiscos.com/producto/wenzeslaus-thomas-matiegka-complete-flute-and-violin-trios-physical-copy
Original Romantic Music for Violin and Guitar
(Leonhard Von Call, Wenzeslaus Matiegka)
Claire Jolivet, Agustín Maruri
(CD, Album, Stereo) EMEC Discos
https://shop.emecdiscos.com/producto/original-romantic-music-for-violin-and-guitar-physical-copy
Wenzeslaus Thomas Matiegka, Solo Guitar Pieces
https://shop.emecdiscos.com/producto/wenzeslaus-thomas-matiegka-physical-copy
If you're looking for the complete solo guitar music of Matiegka then Brilliant
Classics has the seven-disc box set you're looking for, recorded by Giulio Tampalini
Complete Music For Solo Guitar
https://www.brilliantclassics.com/articles/m/matiegka-complete-music-for-solo-guitar/
David Leisner's recording of Matiegka's music, featuring Grand Sonata I and
other works, has been re-issued. I got
the original 2009 album and very much enjoyed it.
http://davidleisner.com/digital-re-release-of-matiegka-album/
Massimo Agostinelli's 1996 recording of Matiegka, which features Grand Sonata
No. 1 Sonate Progressive Op. 17 and Sonate Op. 23 is availabe in digital format
now via Apple Music and other services.
https://music.apple.com/us/album/wenzeslaus-thomas-matiegka-works-for-guitar/1611868384
If you can read Italian check out his Berben Edition collection of Matiegka's
work which, in my part of the US is probably easiest to get via Theodore Front
https://www.tfront.com/p-35044-opere-scelte-for-guitar-edited-by-massimo-agostinelli-and-giovanni-podera.aspx
Most recently David Starobin recored Matiegka’s Op. 31 set on Bridge Records
W. T. Matiegka: Six Sonatas Op. 31
https://bridgerecords.com/products/9567
Much as I commend the Starobin recording of Op. 31 to you I'm going to make reference to the Tampalini recordings from the Brilliant box set as I work through Matiegka's sonatas for guitar.
You can't find Op. 31 Nos 3 and 4 in public domain so you will have to make do with whatever edition you can lay hold of. I have been partial to Stanley Yates’ Wenzeslaus Thomas Matiegka: Complete Solo Guitar Sonatas (ISBN-13: 978-15-4636-385, ISBN-10: 15-4636-385-8, Classical Guitar Study Editions CGSE-0050, published May 2017). If you want to read a review I, eh, know of one published in a local guitar society newsletter.
https://www.seattleguitar.org/soundings603.pdf
Finally, I don't really have a timeline or schedule for how fast or often I will be writing about the sonatas. What I can say is that the plan is to write about the music with reference to the Yates edition for measure numbers; to provide in-score analysis and commentary any and every time there are public domain scores that are amenable to inclusion in posts; and that I will use Giulio Tampalini's recording as the reference for time-stamps because the audio is readily at hand on YouTube promotionally. The plan is to go through the sonatas in order of opus number. I'll be starting with Sonate facile Op. 16 and work my way through to the six progressive sonatas of Op. 31.
No comments:
Post a Comment