Friday, February 03, 2023

some interviews at Jeffrey Goodman's YT channel with Stanley Yates, David Starobin, and David Leisner on the guitar music of Wenzel Matiegka

Wenzel Thomas Matiegka was baptized on July 6, 1773 and died on January 19, 1830. 

A good chunk of his guitar music is available for free at IMSLP.org



Not, however Sonatas 4 and 5 from the Op. 31 set of progressive sonatas.  


But the other sonatas are available at IMSLP lately:  the two grand sonatas, the Op. 23 Haydn re-working sonata, the Op. 16 and Op. 17 sonatas, the two sonata forms nestled in the Op. 20 progressive pieces, and Nos. 1, 2, 5 and 6 from Op. 31.  3 and 4 are currently unaccounted for as free PDF files. I have the Stanley Yates edition, however, and that means I won't be at a loss for discussing all of Matiegka's sonata forms, including two not included in the Yates edition because they were buried in the Op. 20 series. 


I intend to blog through and analyze all of Matiegka's solo guitar sonatas this year (and revisit the ones I've previously discussed).  I realize these days that the blog gets very little traffic (changes to SEO patterns and search results may have something to do with it).  That said, even if the audience is tiny I figure Matiegka deserves a thorough survey of his sonatas on the 250th anniversary of his baptism.  


To that end, I'm also sharing links to three different conversations Jeffrey Goodman had with different guitarists about Matiegka's life and work.


W. T. Matiegka - Complete Solo Guitar Sonatas - Interview with Stanley Yates

Apr 24, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUDZny2itpA

  

W. T. Matiegka's Six Sonatas Op. 31 - Interview with David Starobin about his CD

April 24, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mmc3yWKncA


W. T. Matiegka - Solo Guitar Works - Interview with David Leisner

May 12, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi1K6kR9xeM


Long-time readers know I've liked Matiegka's sonatas and one of the reasons I feel it's especially important to get to a detailed analysis with scores this year is not just because of the anniversary but also because I think there are benefits to looking through Matiegka's sonatas. It would be hard to find a guitarist composer from the early 19th century who wrote more sonata forms or wrote more varied sonata forms.  Thanks to a proliferation of formal analysis and theoretical work on sonata forms in the last twenty years the time seems ripe for having any extensive English-language discussion of this composer's work, period.  I've been meaning to do something similar for Rebay's seven solo guitar sonatas but those are not all completely recorded whereas there's been a great big seven-disc box set of Matiegka's complete solo guitar music available from Brilliant Classics for years now.  Therefore ... here's hoping to do some intensive blogging and revisiting of Matiegka's sonatas later this year.


Just not right now.  :)


Another "not right now" I'm looking forward to tackling is blogging through 16 excerpts of the 24 preludes and fugues for solo guitar by German Dzhaparidze.  Of course I've been meaning to do that for years but a lot of stressful stuff IRL has happened in the last few years besides c19 things happening in Puget Sound.  I trust what readers I have can be forgiving that between c19 stuff and a friend dying a few months ago Wenatchee The Hatchet is not in top form lately. 

No comments: