Saturday, February 04, 2023

a sampling of German Dzhaparidze's 24 Preludes and Fugues for solo guitar as performed by Esteban Colucci

I have, of course, talked about blogging about this cycle over the years but IRL events of the last few years have not been so good for me.  That said, I have kept tabs on Colucci's Youtube channel and of course have the 2 disc physical album, which I've enjoyed over the years.  

Now even if I have not managed to blog through German Dzhaparidze's 24 Preludes and Fugues for solo guitar in a score analyzing way as I have with Nikita Koshkin's set of preludes and fugues I can at least consolidate performances from most of the cycle in one blog post so you can hear them.  So with that said, links to publicly available online excerpts of the cycle are available after the break.

Prelude and Fugue Nr 1 in C Major (with score)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m9-6imNDKU
Prelude in C major 00:00 to 1:35
Fugue in C major 01:36 to 4:08

Prelude and Fugue in C sharp minor (video but no score)

Fugue in C# minor (I think this one may just be the fugue but has a score and this one is a charmer!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK3iOu3gors
 
Prelude and Fugue in E flat (with score and check out the lovely scordatura for this one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8unEl9dBfA
 
Prelude and fugue nr. 9 in E major
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eppsJhpaQ6A
also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkMjmSzToU8
 
Prelude and Fugue in F major
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGHPOBDanlw
 
Prelude and Fugue in F minor (video with score)  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlV4AHJQyiE
  
Prelude and Fugue in G flat major (video has score)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwlhb241_h4

Prelude and Fugue in F# minor (video has score)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C1uvVMTJ3M
 
Prelude and Fugue in G major
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3ItWQCMkE
 
Fugue in G minor (video has score)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXBsMmW3VHA
 
Prelude and Fugue in Ab
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eraiHSjCMTw
 
Fugue N.18 in G sharp minor (video has score)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM493mjblDE
 
Prelude and Fugue in A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54KeTnagU3A
 
Prelude and Fugue in A minor (video has score)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub4vZTcXomc
 
Fugue in B flat major   (just the fugue in this case)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-x4uOCPK9w
 
Prelude and Fugue in B minor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK3iOu3gors

This playlist was updated just a couple of days ago.
It includes the C minor, C sharp minor, D major, and B major preludes and fugues.

If Soundcloud is more your thing ... 

E minor and D minor are as yet inaccessible if you didn't buy the 2 disc set a few years back and they haven't made it onto the remastered album.  But everything else from the cycle, I think, you can hear between Esteban's Youtube videos and the Soundcloud entries linked to above.  


This is a beautiful cycle of preludes and fugues for the guitar and I would like a publisher to get behind this cycle and publish it the way Editions Margaux has published Nikita Koshkin's 24 Preludes and Fugues for solo guitar and I've got the scores for that cycle and have blogged through half of it so far.  Classical guitarists have no reason to look back on the early 19th century as if it were some golden age of the instrument in terms of repertoire.  We're living in a golden age of classical guitar music right now.  Two centuries ago not even the masters of the guitar were writing cycles of preludes and fugues for the instrument and yet we have the Koshkin cycle and the Dzhaparidze and Drozd cycles, although as yet only Koshkin's is published and I'm afraid I haven't had a chance to hear the Drozd cycle (actually, either the solo guitar cycle or the guitar duet cycle, I have to see what I can do about that).  I hope one day that can change.  Meanwhile, I not only make no apologies for advocating for polyphonic music for solo guitar I hope to keep discussing and promoting it for as long as I can manage to blog and I find things that intrigue and inspire me.  

No comments: