Friday, July 01, 2022

Richard Taruskin (1945-2022)

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/01/arts/music/richard-taruskin-dead.html
I don't have anything more to add at the moment but I will blog about Taruskin's work and how he's influenced my thinking about a few topics in music history later.  I will say that it's thanks to Kyle Gann I discovered both Richard Taruskin and Leonard B Meyer. 

I know for certain Alex Ross is going to have something to say.  

UPDATE 7-2-2022

UPDATE 7-4-2022
Of course with Taruskin's passing it would be a given not all posthumous commentary would be laudatory.


The questions of what would constitute a proper leftist musicology, however, play into precisely one of the core questions Taruskin posed in his polemical style--whether a proper musicology of the right, left or center was necessarily going to "work".  I notice people who have talked about Taruskin being "neoconservative" and if that means the more conventional anti-Marxist or former Trotskyist who became anti-Marxist then a long-form case might be in order.  

But the larger question of proper leftist musicology ties pretty directly into what I have subsequently called the impetus for "worldview vindication" that I think, at his best (and worst) Taruskin so openly and vehemently challenged.  

That may ultimately consign him to a footnote in proverbial history but as John Halle put it a few years ago:
...

f I were an important person, I can imagine myself being asked why I regard Taruskin, along with Chomsky, as one of my major influences, even though his politics are frequently dubious, not to mention his having, on at least two occasions, personally attacked me in print. This review [here] should give a good indication why. Namely, that he routinely exercises the capacity to, as Orwell put it, “face unpleasant truths.” That’s what’s made him enemies over the years, and that’s why, while finding him a plenty disagreeable person, I regard him as an unlikely albeit problematic ally. (He would never describe me as one, needless to say.)

For it is this capacity, after all, which is fundamental to any chance we have of digging ourselves out of the hole we are in. The fact that much of “the left” has demonstrably abandoned it at various points of its history, including now, suggests to me that the kind of intellectual honesty Taruskin embodies is a much better foundation on which to build a political movement than the delusions of those who self-identify as on the “revolutionary” left.

...
If the histories of Socialist Realism and advocacy (or academic prescription) of integral serialism as the musics of "freedom" could tell us anything one possible epiphany we could have is that music can do a lot of things but worldview vindication has rarely been one of them.  But I have, at length, made a case for why I think Taruskin at his best and worst made a point that we should take to heart.

No comments: