Imagining Native America in Music
Michael V Pisani
Copyright (c) 2005 by Yale University
Yale University Press
ISBN-10: 0-300-10893-1 (hardcover: alk. paper)
ISBN-13: 978-0-300-10893-4 (hardcover: alk. paper)
https://www.amazon.com/Michael-V-Pisani-ebook/dp/B001565AOY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1I0N3N3HKCUVY&dchild=1&keywords=imagining+native+america+in+music+by+pisani%2C+michael+v&qid=1595252839&sprefix=imagining+native+america+in+music+%2Caps%2C222&sr=8-1
I've mentioned this book in passing here and there but it's available in an admittedly pricey Kindle format if you wanted to read a monograph discussing the history of representations/depictions of Native America in music (not just "classical" music as normally defined, since Pisani goes back to sixteenth and seventeenth century music in Europe and spans all the way up to Hollywood film scores) this would be the book you will want to check out.
There's a whole chapter on Hiawatha as a literary motif that inspired choral works, the peak being Samuel Coleridge-Taylor's Hiawatha cantata cycle. I've thought about writing more about this book from time to time but for the time being, letting people know it's available in e-format may have to suffice and perhaps I can add more on the book later.
No comments:
Post a Comment