https://oldlife.org/2016/08/23/was-francis-schaeffer-an-intellectual/#comment-146073
...Ever checked out what Steve Dobrogosz does with The Mass. Not saying it’s a perfect correlation to what you’re interested in, but it’s certainly worth considering.Well, took a while to get around to it. But ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw__h35uBtw
It's alright. It's not going to supplant the Mass settings by Igor Stravinsky, Francis Poulenc, or Ralph Vaughan Williams, let alone Frank Martin for me (I think the Martin Mass for double chorus is under-rated and is one of my favorite 20th century Mass settings).
But the Dobrogosz Mass is pretty solid. I actually like it, which I'm afraid I can't say about the Edith Smyth Mass. Smyth's Mass just got me thinking that I wanted to hear Rubbra's again ... or Arvo Part's Berliner Messe (caveat, thanks to Joss Whedon and company the Part setting of the Kyrie has turned into "superhero just died and you're supposed to cry").
So, anyway, however belatedly here in 2020 I got to it, I did get to listening to the Dobrogosz Mass.
No comments:
Post a Comment