Thursday, July 30, 2020

Maren Haynes dissertation, "Punk Rock Calvinists Who Hate the Modern Worship Movement": Ritual, Power, and White Masculinity in Mars Hill Church's Worship Music

The recent interview Warren Throckmorton had with Sutton Turner and Dave Bruskas featured, among other things, mention that there was some tension between Mark wanting his products promoted and the nascent would-be Mars Hill Music getting off the ground.  That reminded me that I got word of a project by Maren Haynes through the University of Washington. The PhD dissertation ...


"Punk Rock Calvinists Who Hate the Modern Worship Movement": Ritual, Power, and
White Masculinity in Mars Hill Church's Worship Music

I haven't had a chance to read it yet but the title has me thinking of a project I wrote a few years back called "Mark Driscoll and the Gospel of (Escaping) White Trash", and another project "The Evolution of Markulinity", both of which dealt with the white trash/blue collar masculinity tropes Mark Driscoll played to for his Seattle area image.  

I have too much on my plate for reading projects to be able to say I'll be blogging about this dissertation soon but I want to at least share it for those interested in what scholars have been writing about Mars Hill since its closure. 

Thoughts about the recent Throckmorton interview can wait for later.  

No comments: