That was never the case but for people locked into a brand loyalty that could have seemed to be the case. I didn't have any problem writing about Pixar movies I liked (and I admit I like quite a few, having wanted to be an animator when I was a boy and having never lost my respect for the craft and skill it takes to make even what I would now consider badly made cartoons). I also occasionally wrote about music and now, of course, music is often what I write about.
Perhaps it's because of my time at Mars Hill Church and witnessing more second-hand than first-hand what seemed dangerously cultish about it, in other words having seen the various ways that what would be called actually religious religion can do significant harm, I have basically zero sympathy for what in academic circles and arts circles is considered the better, nobler and truer religion a la Richard Wagner, namely Art. There's a couple of reasons for my acquired skepticism about art-as-religion being an ennobling thing. First, I admit to being the sort of Calvinist Presbyterian who takes seriously the idea of the Fall and original sin and that the first warnings we must heed from those doctrinal traditions is what it means about "me" before any of us get around to "you". That leads rather quickly to what has been one of Richard Taruskin's key arguments against the art-of-religion in connection to the Holocaust. In actual religious traditions there are plenty of warnings that you can have the right dogmas and still be evil. Didn't James warn in his epistle that you may say you believe in God but even the demons can make that profession. As Richard Taruskin has noted many a time about George Steiner, Steiner was perplexed by the reality that the humanities did not humanize.
The way I've put the topic in the past has not necessarily been to do with the Holocaust but with a different situation, the revelations of Weinstein's conduct in the #metoo era, which from within the streets of Hollywood itself confronts us with what could be a Donatist controversy for advocates of art-as-sanctifying sacrament. The post was very unsubtly named
"the post-Weinstein #MeToo era as a Donatist controversy for Western art religion"
Taruskin, for his part, has written many articles arguing against the idea of art-as-religion or we might be able to call high art traditions as sanctifying sacraments. I considered seminary at one point decades ago so it's fairly easy for me to switch back and forth between art jargon and theological jargon. So all of that may be by way of introduction to anyone who is reading this who has not read what either I or Taruskin have written in our very different scenes and platforms about the idea that loving the high arts or fine arts of the Western traditions makes people better people.
Bryan Townsend has been reading Taruskin's Cursed Questions, too. He may struggle more with Taruskin's often withering take downs on the notion that loving the right kind of art makes one the right kind of person.
http://themusicsalon.blogspot.com/2020/03/there-is-no-hope-for-art.html
I've got my own differences of perspective from Taruskin about, for instance, George Steiner, but it's more a matter of emphasis. I only heard about Steiner because John Borstlap took In Bluebird's Castle to be a wholesale summary of the death of Western culture because it did not stop the Holocaust and now we have to live with it, whereas Taruskin's take is more that Steiner presumes a justified dominance, for want of a better phrase, of the West as the West that is partly justified because George Steiner feels ambivalent about how Western arts didn't stop the Holocaust. Many a Western secularist would refer to the commanded slaughter of the Canaanites and trot out the old claim that religion always makes people evil. Well, in that case, all the more reason to reject any kind of art taking a comparable place to religion. Last I checked Star Trek fans need to get that memo.
The older I get and the more I mull over what the Native American half of my ancestry ran into dealing with state and federal authorities the more it seems to me that Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek, whatever the average blue state white progressive might think of it as embarrassingly low genre goofiness or aspirational utopian sci-fi, the possibility that Star Trek embodies an LBJ era form of American cultural imperialism is generally not up for consideration.
I wrote the following a while back before I'd finished the book.
https://wenatcheethehatchet.blogspot.com/2020/03/richard-taruskins-new-book-cursed.html
I've also exchanged thoughts with Bryan and others at his blog.
I've put my cards on the table that I am, at nicest, skeptical to the point of unbelief about art as religion. If religion doesn't ensure that people are better people there's no reason for me to believe that either art or politics will ensure people are better people, either. I have read a bit too much about Soviet history to regard Marxism as exempt from atrocity because Anglo-American leftists want to no true Scotsman Stalin or Beria out of being "real" Marxists. On the other hand, perhaps thanks (?) to having half my ancestry being Native American I don't really have a huge incentive to presume the best about American continental expansion and yet (in case you didn't catch that I mentioned being a Calvinist!) I also don't think that blue state white guilt about the way Native Americans were treated (badly) exempts Native American cultures from being found wanting for what in some regions (the Pacific Northwest) was the pervasiveness of a callous and inhumane approach to slavery in the generally nomadic PNW tribes that even white racists from Missouri found somewhat galling.
Or as some authors in the Bible warned us, there is none that is righteous, not even one.
One of the key arguments Taruskin has made over the course of his career is to keep highlighting that loving the arts does not make us good neighbors. Art as religion is no better at making us better people than religion generally is. What low church Protestants might say the problem often is is a form of sacralism and a conflation of church and state, some post-Gelasian doctrine of the two swords being invoked to make the church and the state of one accord and that this error, for those Christians who regard it as a terrible error (hint) it's possible for the magisterial Reformers to see the problem in post-Constantinian Christendom and yet magically not see their own bids at replicating Christendom and the sacralized states on their own Protestant terms.
So, I guess that's my way of saying as a Christian that what I appreciate about Taruskin's polemics against Western art-as-religion for its long history of abuses or failure to rein in the lesser impulses of humans resonates with me because, well, my own years of chronicling what I came to regard as the graft and abuse of religious leaders in the former Mars Hill might, as the saying goes, overlap on a Venn diagram.
It's somewhat paradoxical that I only got around to reading George Steiner and Theodor Adorno because of John Borstlap. Borstlap has proposed that the Holocaust may have happened because people failed to live up to the best ideals of Enlightenment and the West. Well, okay, but if that's the formulation it's what Americans call the informal fallacy of no true Scotsman, a temptation that we need to resist whatever team we're on.
So I don't happen to agree with the idea that art can make us better people.
http://themusicsalon.blogspot.com/2020/04/art-as-religion.html
....
But art and music have very special potential benefits that most other activities do not. There is a long and rich history to explore with all sorts of aesthetic and social implications. There is the challenge of performance which rewards not only the artist, but the audience as well. There is the challenge of understanding music from the point of view of the listener and the analyst. Writing about music is another multifarious challenge.
As religions go, you could do a lot worse than choose art and music.
Woody Allen once said that Mozart was proof for the existence of God. I lean more to Bach myself. Here is the Magnificat in D major with Concentus Musicus Vienna and the Arnold Schoenberg Choir conducted by Nikolaus Harnoncourt:
One of the things I've discovered in my musical life is saying I think Mozart is kind of boring and lame but that I love, love, love the music of Haydn turns out to not be an orthodox view within classical music. It's a bit more of an accepted orthodoxy to say that Beethoven had some great musical moments but could be a bloviating self-important blowhard. I still love Beethoven's Op. 111, mind you, I just hate his choral music. I'd take choral music by Poulenc and Rachmaninoff over Beethoven any time any where.
What came up recently at Bryan's blog is that Richard Taruskin came by to articulate what I've found and liked in his work:
http://themusicsalon.blogspot.com/2020/04/all-kinds-of-brows.html
All good wishes, Richard Taruskin
2 comments:
This blue state white progressive grew up loving Star Trek, but is now keenly aware of how much it embodies an LBJ era form of American cultural imperialism. As my kids grow up, I'm conscious of how bad the values are of cultural properties that previously seemed innocuous. It makes me appreciate those few Hollywood products that are genuinely anti-imperialist. I appreciate how Frozen II tries to deal with the legacy of colonialism, however clumsily. There are few other comparable stories that even try.
I confess I still can't forgive that Frozen got best animated feature over The Wind Rises to give Frozen II a chance. :) I didn't even think Frozen was a badly made movie but this Miyazaki fan was bowled over by The Wind Rises.
I'm ambivalent about TOS because my dad loved it and at its time TOS presented a future America (by implication) that had moved toward having a place for people of color and even Russians (Chekov, of course) that signaled a hope that the Cold War didn't have to end in mutually assured destruction. I think WITHIN the context of the Cold War and in the wake of crises like the Cuban Missile Crisis that there was a place for some optimism. I also still love the lightning in a bottle ensemble work that Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley brought to the original series.
But the older I get the more I think the Trek franchise probably should have died with Roddenberry. And now that the Cold War is decades behind us, however, it's easier to see the LBJ era optimism had an imperialist aspect to it and I think that, thematically, gets back to Miyazaki's bleak but penetrating consideration of the ways in which professional artists as individuals and as a group tend to be implicated (or imbricated to indulge in some silly wordplay) in imperialism regardless of their stated ideals.
A film can make a bid at being anti-imperialist at the surface level while still reflecting weird tropes at the bones of the script. Take James Cameron's Avatar. On paper it's against imperialism but the tropes are so standard-issue magic white boy joins the Indian tribe and gets the Indian princess I found it annoying. As the Forgotbusters article put it, Avatar was Billy Jack in Space.
I'm biased because I love the show but I think The Last Airbender (and very much not it's disappointingly self-congratulatory sequel series Legend of Korra) did try to take a consistently anti-imperialist stance and it worked mainly because Iroh and Zuko were presented as having been so clearly for the Fire Nation's expansionist aims and shown having a change of heart.
In terms of music and legacy I've been thinking about Michael Jackson because I think part of the challenge of the reception history of his music at a popular and academic level is that his music has represented some very real positive things alongside which we have to consider more troubling aspects of the way he is alleged to have made use of his celebrity. The musical vision of a more racially reconciled United States can still be inspiring while we don't necessarily cast aside allegations of exploitive or even predatory aspects of his personality, aspects that may reflect domestic history but also the often predatory aspects of the industries in which Jackson was involved. In a lot of ways it's easier for Hollywood to make a film like Spotlight about the predatory actions of men in the Catholic Church than to make a Spotlight about itself (although the Coen brothers have gotten in the zone of lacerating send ups of Hollywood's vices in films like Barton Fink).
Post a Comment