Obviously I haven't made more headway on the blogging through Koshkin's 24 preludes and fugues this year. That's disappointing but in the offline world all sorts of things can come up that require attention and sometimes you have to settle for doing things in bits and pieces. We'll have to try tackling that in 2019 is how things are looking now.
Also waiting until 2019 is probably going to have to be blogging about the guitar sonatas of Dusan Bogdanovic.
And blogging about the guitar sonatas of Angelo Gilardino, which I very much want to try to tackle in 2019!
The Matiegka project probably has to wait until 2020 ... probably.
Even some other non-music related blogging probably gets to wait until 2019. I mean, sure, I could review Spirit-Filled Jesus some time this year but the book hardly seems important enough to bother with just yet. Same for Doug Wilson and Randy Booth's 2nd edition of A Justice Primer. Maybe they think it's important enough to get a second edition and I admit I picked up a second-hand copy out of curiosity because the first edition got scuttled by the work of a blogger, and I was curious to see if the book could possibly earn the praise lavished upon it by Kevin DeYoung before the first edition got retracted ... but it's another book where I'm curious about it but not nearly so curious as I am to keep reading a couple of books in the musicology vein that I've been wanting to read. And some stuff by Ellul ... and there's some stuff on Francis Schaeffer I've been meaning to write about.
So there's some music blogging that has to be tabled if I'm realistic about my time and energy levels. I don't think I even mentioned earlier part of me wants to blog about the preludes and fugues of Henry Martin for piano, or the cycle of preludes and fugues by Zaderatsky! There's some charming music in that cycle! Regular readers must know by now, I hope, that I don't merely pay lip service to some vague idea of having a love of polyphonic music.
So life happens and sometimes you don't write as much as you hope to. This year has not felt like a very productive year for me as a blogger but feelings can mislead. There's, what, 408 posts or so this year? My idea of a relatively unproductive year is still a lot of posts. If I were to factor in completing three solo guitar sonatas and four dozen etudes on the compositional side that might go some way to explaining why there hasn't been more writing here.
And I've managed to complete reading ... like four books by Adorno in the last year or two. That's not exactly a small feat. Adorno's prose is not the most inviting. :)
Not everything I've been incubating may necessarily appear here. But, anyway, just noting that several projects I wanted to tackle this year were obviously too big to be realistically completed this year. But writing more about the Koshkin cycle is still on the agenda, as is writing about German Dhzaparidze's cycle of preludes and fugues. If you've been a regular reader of this blog over the years you may have some idea what level of attention to detail I prefer to give topics when I finally get to them. I hope when I finally write about all of this stuff it will be up to the standards I've managed to have so far. A person can always do better but sometimes doing better means trying not to crank out things more quickly than is fit for a thoughtful piece of writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment