Friday, November 10, 2017

Boston Globe: Berklee College let teachers quietly leave after allegations of sexual abuse and pushed students for silence

More and more it just seems like never managing to make it into academia seems like it wasn't a loss.  Twenty years ago I wanted to get into academia but then I realized I couldn't get into the field because I didn't have the money and didn't want to keep taking loans.  I also figured that my lack of zeal for jumping through hoops where I don't see the need for them meant it was better to love learning in some way where I didn't have to teach. 
 
But even twenty years ago I'd see dubious op-eds by professors claiming that if the student WANTS an escalated relationship of some kind the professor shouldn't be closed off to that.  I can't name names because I simply no longer remember the name of an author who made what I thought was an idiotic and unscrupulous argument.
 
But, anyway, stuff about Berklee. 
 
 
A Globe investigation has uncovered a culture of blatant sexual harassment at Berklee with at least three male professors, including Galindo, allowed to quietly leave since 2008, after students reported being assaulted, groped, or pressured into sex with their teachers, according to court documents and interviews with more than a dozen people. Administrators at the renowned music school tolerated lecherous behavior, former Berklee students and employees said, and often silenced the accusers through financial settlements with gag orders attached.
 
 
Berklee administrators defended the school’s track record, saying in a statement that Berklee has rigorous policies and procedures to deal with claims of sexual harassment.
 
“Although we do not discuss specific matters publicly out of respect for all involved and limitations on what we are legally permitted to share, we take matters that impede the learning or working environment of our students, faculty, and staff seriously and act promptly to address them,” the school said.
 
The allegations against the Berklee professors come at a time of heightened attention to sexual harassment following revelations about Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, who faces accusations of groping, raping, and harassing women for decades. Since the scandal became public last month, women have felt empowered to speak up about alleged abuse, especially when they believe their abusers remain free to victimize others.
 
The woman who reported being assaulted by Galindo said that when she initially spoke with Berklee administrators in 2012, they discouraged her from pressing forward with a court case because, she said, they assured her Galindo would never work at another school.
 
Yet Galindo went on to teach at the New England Conservatory in Boston. The woman, who asked to remain anonymous because she fears professional reprisals, was horrified to discover in 2016 that Galindo was teaching again and notified the conservatory. His contract there was not renewed, according to the school. But he continued working at the Longy School of Music of Bard College in Cambridge until last week, when the woman found out he was employed there, contacted administrators, and the school severed ties with him. Galindo had worked there since 2009.
 
“If I didn’t report him [to other schools], it would be on me if he did this again,” the woman said.
 

No comments: