Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pajama Pages: James Duncan discusses Mark Driscoll preparing communiy group leaders to push Real Marriage

http://www.pajamapages.com/mark-driscoll-prepared-hundreds-of-mars-hill-leaders-to-push-push-push-his-book/

James Duncan has highlighted one of those things that, in retrospect, seems like it would have been simple enough, Driscoll and company were planning to preach through Real Marriage as a series and all the community groups across the 14-some campuses were going to have a way to promote the book.

Duncan refers to this video link, though given the rate at which Mars Hill has been wiping away entire sermon series from their media library (Nehemiah, Phillipians, and 1 Corinthians) who knows how long this thing will stay up.

http://pastormark.tv/2011/12/07/inside-look-at-real-marriage

Duncan says a bit more you can go read for yourself.  Given the statement by the MH BOAA that "outside counsel" came up with the idea of using Result Source and Thomas Nelson seems to have said it wasn't them, who is left?  Yates & Yates?  Would anyone from Yates & Yates admit to proposing Result Source?  Would any of their staff past or present even propose such a thing?  And how precisely did Mars Hill Church get in a situation where outside counsel could even suggest such a thing anyway unless someone was committed to having a book "pop"?  Driscoll said himself in a sermon in 2009 that he hoped one of his books would "pop".  It's over in a 2009 sermon that never got a transcription but it's from the 1 & 2 Peter series.

http://marshill.com/media/trial/humble-pastors/prophets-priests-and-kings#downloads

Prophets, Priests and Kings
 Trial: 8 witnesses from 1 & 2 Peter
May 3, 2009
1 Peter 5:1-5

... So in all of this, as well, I've had people ask, "So what about the book sales?"  Here's how it works, I didn't start a separate company. One of the ways that guys work this, they become a leader in a church and they have a company on the side and they use the church to funnel business into their side company and I didn't start a side company (like a lot of guys do) for my book writing. Instead I publish under Mars Hill.


So the way it works, I don't get all the money. Mars Hill gets a huge take. Mars Hill gets all the marketing dollars, they get paid by the publishers. Mars Hill gets half of all the royalties so the books that I publish, about 75% of the revenue goes to Mars Hill Church, not me. Not me.  Because I'm worried about this issue, greed, shameful gain. Just using Mars Hill as a platform so I can start a business to rake in massive dollars. I don't think it's a sin for a pastor to get a salary but we're now at the point where the books and the marketing, that a huge portion of my salary is covered by income that I generate.  And, I'll be honest with you, I hope one of my books pops or I get enough books on the shelf, titles in print , I'd love to see the day where I'm basically working for free and that the book sales and royalties and such let me generate enough money for Mars Hill that I can work free of charge. That's my hope and my goal. I don't know if we'll get there but that's what I'm trying to do.

Of course there's a separate company now since about 2011 but apparently Mark Driscoll's supporters don't seem to care that Driscoll's done as big a 180 on this topic as is humanly possible between 2009 and 2011. 

Haven't even gotten to the topic of where the millions that were designated to the Resurgence Training Center Masters in Missional Leadership program got to.  They went to a program, to be sure (most likely) but the non-existence of that program as Mars Hill Church is trying (again) to launch some kind of seminary/Bible college thing is going to be worth exploring.

No comments: