Friday, February 17, 2012

finished a composing commission

Over the last couple of weeks I completed a composing commission and wrote a piece called "Sunday Morning", a suite for treble viol and guitar.  There may be a few revisions needed for the viol's part but the suite has been finished and I am happy with it and, more importantly, the guitarist who comissioned the work is happy with it.  It will be wonderful if the musician who plays the treble viol likes the piece, naturally and I am hoping for the best there.

I am also relieved that I have been paid for the commission and this lets me keep a roof over my head for another month!  If January 2012 was marked by the publication of my Guitar Sonata in F minor by Periferia Sheet Music then February 2012 has been marked by a composing commission that I have completed.  I hope more commissions come my way in the future! 

Back in 2010, as long-time readers may recall, I completed a commission that called for an hour's worth of Christmas music arranged for oboe, cello and guitar.  That arranging commission was an important project for me, my first paying commission to create music.  This recent suite for treble viol and guitar has been my first composing commission and it, too, has been exciting.  I plan to continue working on chamber music that matches the classical guitar with strings, woodwinds, brass, and anything else I can think of.  I've even dabbled with writing a divertimento for clarinet, guitar, and celesta. 

So besides the happy occasion of another part of "The Wounds of Discovery" getting published on Mockingbird as part of my series Batman: The Agony of Loss and the Madness of Desire I can also happily report that I have completed a composing commission this month. This is not exactly financially lucrative work but it is very satisfying work for me. Who knows?  Perhaps it may become more financially lucrative at some point down the road.  In any event I keep looking for a normal day job and if I manage to keep a roof over my head by writing about cartoons and creating chamber music for classical guitar that's pretty cool.

No comments: