Friday, January 13, 2012

an update on Batman: The Agony of Loss and the Madness of Desire

For those of you who read parts 1 through 3 of the above-mentioned series I've been writing about Batman: the animated series for Mockingbird, fret not (if you were fretting at all).  I still have this project on the table and since 2012 marks the 20th anniversary of this revolutionary and classic childrens' program I will do my best to write about the series

You might have put together that the pending part 4, "The Wounds of Discovery" has been even tougher for me to write than part 3 ("Heart of Ice, Heart of Wrath").  As I mentioned here I only made the breakthrough I needed to finish part 3 by searching for a C. S. Lewis book and grabbing a G. K. Chesterton book instead.  Well, eye surgery and other off-line concerns have slowed down the completion of part 4 and part 4 is, I must confess, remarkably challenging. 

In the past I had many a fellow nerdy colleague with whom to discuss ideas for such essays.  I could brainstorm, bounce ideas off of people, mull things over, and this on a regular basis.  There's nothing like 26 months of no job and rarely seeing such nerdy friends to slow down the brainstorming process.  Life has a habit of happening, and sometimes life slows you down.  Beyond the huge interruption of cataract removal surgery there have been the matters of belated family holiday celebrations; the continuing search for something like a normal day job; and a recent writing project I've been tackling that involves having to watch what amount to think tank presentations that I have been able to tackle but not without the help of some caffeinated beverages.  Oh, yes, and the matter of getting my guitar sonata in f minor further along the path to getting published. 

I finished D. G. Hart's book on evangelicals and conservative political thought and though I'd love to write about it I'm no longer sure I'm going to.  I had some personal interest in taking up the book and its subject but because the subject is personal I'm not sure I want to blog about it any longer.  There are some things to be worked out in a thought-out way in public settings such as a blog or a book. 

But there are some things that are sufficiently personal that they do not warrant being blogged about or being transformed into a book that is used to promote a set of ideas and formulas (while being presented as though it were NOT a set of formulas).  I'm going to remain vague about things because there are some things to be worked out without dragging things into the public sphere.  If I were to cast about for a counterexample that has impressed upon me the importance of this principle I probably don't have name it if you've read more than two posts at this blog.

But I can be specific about "The Wounds of Discovery".  I'm half-way through and excited about what I have finished, and want to finish the second half and get to parts 5 and 6 this year. 

I haven't forgotten that I'd like to write some more about chamber music for guitar and I've got a CD by the d'Amore Duo I'd love to write about.  But since odds are very high you've never heard of them before I want to try to give an overview of this oboe/guitar duo from their three commercial recordings and perhaps discuss oboe/guitar literature at a broader level.  I am also mulling over writing something about a composer whose works for guitar have languished in obscurity for decades that are getting a small revival, a composer whose work I learned about thanks to one of the d'Amore Duo's recordings.  But I'm trying to save that for another time.  After all, if this blog mentions cartoons and classical guitar and I don't get to it I'm missing some of my favorite subjects!

No comments: