Friday, October 14, 2011

I just had to post this comment from Bill MacKinnon at BHT

http://boarsheadtavern.com/2011/10/14/28428/

Lutherans are mythical creatures in my area, so I don’t have any first hand experience with them, but I have to agree with Bob’s assessment of this situation.

Sorry, I know it's goofy and trivial but it made me laugh a lot.  Some kinds of Christians really don't appear that often.  Back in my Mars Hill days a friend of mine felt obliged to tell another fellow (who is now a pastor at MH) that I was not, in fact, a heretic for being an amillenial partial preterist.  Even at a church like Mars Hill where lots of people care about doctrine 98% of Mars Hillians had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.  I have myself been a sort of mythical creature in some parts of American conservative Protestantism for my views on eschatology.  Seminarians get it, and sometimes chuckle, but most lay people have no idea what I'm talking about.  Christian love often means not even attempting to explain it to them.

No comments: