I've seen a few things from Xtra Normal by now and while some of the stuff is genuinely funny (I'm partial to the "stuff your Lutheran pastor loves" series myself) I also have the distinct impression that a lot of these "real" conversations are not as real as advertised. The capacity for whomever is in the right to express death wishes and the like is, as it were, a trope straight out of apocalyptic hyperbole. And the fire of their burning will go up forever and ever and all that. :)
And in the end a lot of it comes off as a comprehensive realization of the great Pharisee prayer Jesus referred to as "Thank you, God, that I am not like that tax collector over there."
Remember, friends, no matter how funny that imaginary or possibly real person being made fun of for their blithering idiocy looks and sounds on Xtra Normal, there is always some way and some place in which you and I are the same kind of idiot. We just disguise it from ourselves well.
No comments:
Post a Comment