Links to Nikita Koshkin performing his sonata for flute and guitar, which is amazing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTEyAJzNnh4
1st movement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olS8nL2GeGM
2nd movement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDIbBMQMssk
3rd mvoement
Atanas Ourkouzounov and Mie Ogura playing Ourkouzounov's Sonatine for flute and guitar
http://www.youtube.com/user/ourkouzounov#p/u/17/otKn2OnS10w
1st movement
http://www.youtube.com/user/ourkouzounov#p/u/23/sR0tSmn83cA
2nd movement
http://www.youtube.com/user/ourkouzounov#p/u/22/egCipPv3Ros
3rd movement
And here's a link of Asya Selyutina playing Nikita Koshkin's prelude and fugue in C major. Koshkin finished a set of 24 preludes and fugues not too long ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU0KpbgDpvw
When I first began my own set of preludes and fugues in 2006 I kept thinking, "If anyone finished composing 24 preludes and fugues for solo guitar already he or she will HAVE to be Russian." My impression is that as yet Western guitarists and composers for the guitar (Castelnuovo-Tedesco obviouslly excepted) have not tackled contrapuntal cycles for the guitar. There's no reason we shouldn't, though. Just because a lot of pianists don't play the Hammerklavier doesn't mean there isn't a role for repertoire in the guitar that challenges players to explore the outermost conceptual and technical possibilities of the instrument. Now I'm at best probably a slightly above average player myself but it's nice to learn that one of my favorite composers has decided to tackle 24 preludes and fugues. If I had disposable income and the CD set was already released I'd go get it. Meanwhile, I hope someone actually records all of Rekhin's cycle. If Koshkin's cycle gets released on disc it will be the first cycle of preludes and fugues written for the guitar that is also fully recorded. Someone should to play the other pieces in Rekhin's cycle at some point, I hope.
Anyway, there's a bunch of links for you of works by Nikita Koshkin and Atanas Ourkouzounov. I can't be writing about cartoons and theology and Christian literature all the time (just most of the time, I suppose).
No comments:
Post a Comment