http://www.orthocuban.com/2011/02/the-bottom-line-of-the-healthcare-debate/
I have made no secret here and there that it often seems to me that Christians (and anyone, really) can establish a policy or precedent on the basis of immediate cultural or economic or political or social concerns without thinking through the implications of those policies and precedents. Fr. Ernesto points out that thanks to a law signed off by Reagan Republicans are in the position of attempting to oppose what they consider socialized medicine which, ironically, was half-way attained when Reagan signed off on the law that requires that no one be turned away from emergency room care regardless of citizenship, finances, or legal standing. As he put it, no one would contend now that the Gipper was a leftist or a socialist. It is a bit of an irony to consider that a law given to us by a Republican president may have had decades-long ripples that have gotten us to where we arenow.
Do we want to eliminate the legal requirement as it stands? Do we let hospitals turn away anyone and everyone for the reason of not having sufficient money to pay? Consider the reasons for which hospitals have turned away patients in the past and consider whether you might be a candidate in earlier epochs of medical practice of having been turned away. For all I know if Reagan hadn't signed that law into effect I could have been turned away by a hospital because when I had my big old macular detachment I had no job or money with which to pay for the surgery. Had THAT happened I would have lost my right eye, become completely illiterate, and have become a uselessly unemployable guy in his early twenties.
No comments:
Post a Comment