One of the problems of being a perfectionist and insecure in one's abilities as a writer is constantlys crapping and rewriting stuff. Well, no, that's what writers SHOULD do but it means that I have been taking longer than I intended to to get more work done on a big writing project. Well, news about the substantial trouble with my mother's health while in my sixteenth month of employment played a role, too. I can admit that. There has been enough family health drama in pretty much my whole family in tandem with my job search and uncertainties about whether I'd keep a roof over my head that almost anyone could appreciate that writing a big treatise on ethics in the narrative world of cartoons would be, uh, an optional project compared to making rent. That and I didn't anticipate that my glasses would literally fall apart at the start of 2011. Lots of things have gone wrong that I never thought would go wrong or was already afraid was going wrong that confirmed my fears.
BUT, God willing, and mustering up more will and mental discipline I hope to finish a hefty project for some blogging friends of mine. That's all I plan to say about it hear but regular readers of the blog won't have to guess TOO hard what the project is. I have made what I consider to be some important breakthroughs both in terms of the structure and concepts of the work as a whole. Along the way I have formulated some polemical ideas about the role of nostalgia in revisiting 1980s properties not in the revisitations of late but in the hostility toward those reboots and the nostalgia associated with the hostility. To remain cryptic, it connects to some of the bitter rants from unmarried guys in their thirties who loathe certain reboots and pine for the allegedly unsullied purity of the stuff they grew up with. I have a great deal more to say about that but I'm saving it for the writing project itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment