Monday, June 16, 2008

pastor threatens to stop preaching until 2009 if he discovers his church members don't attend when he's not preaching

http://mondaymorninginsight.com/index.php/site/comments/is_your_church_built_on_personality/

Fascinating. I think my favorite part is the open letter the pastor wrote wherein he says:

Many leaders at CCV wonder if people chose not to come because you knew I was not speaking.

Please understand that if that turns out to be the case, honest to God you won’t hear me speak until 2009. I will hire first-year Bible college interns who can barely chew gum and talk at the same time to rotate the speaking responsibilities for the next 6.5 months.


I enjoyed reading this and think it's a threat that some pastors should not only take up but perhaps even pre-emptively act upon if they are aware that the likelihood of a cult of personality is high.

If attendence at your church nosedives because you're not preaching there that might be a sign that people are there for you and not Jesus.

No comments: