Saturday, May 19, 2007

more travels to the city of angels (possibly named Asmodeus)

I have to admit I didn't enjoy Los Angeles much on the business trip last week. There were no clouds, it was too hot, and the tap water was more to die of than to die for. Still, the restaurants were pretty good. Still, $1.50 for pop from a vending machine is insane, especially since up here in the Emerald City you can find ghetto/bargain bin copies of the same soda for 25 cents a pop, literally. I mean, come on, it's all carbonated water and corn syrup, right? Except maybe Mountain Dew, the great wake-me-up that burns as it goes down your gullet.

One thing I have learned is that things have changed a lot since last I rode in an airplane. I am not making this up but fourteen years ago when I last flew from Sea-Tac they let me on the plane even though I had no driver's license and no state identification of any kind. They just let me on the plane! Now I dread the prospect of even having loose change in my pockets! I had to throw away an average sized bottle of shampoo I was foolish enough to have brought because I've never stayed in a hotel where they, you know, have those weird little bottles of shampoo and stuff. And toothpaste? I have to say Colgate must be making a killing now or something. It makes me feel simultaneously old AND naive, not that I have ever been particularly worldly wise or anything.

Being in Los Angeles for one week gave me great appreciation of the beautiful overcasts and mild, regular precipitation in this beautiful, beautiful town.

No comments: