Sunday, May 06, 2007

mood music

Listening to Vespertine by Bjork. The first half of this album is pure genius. The second half, well, I don't recall so clearly but I've been listening to it lately so I get to find out soon, don't I?

I have to confess that by and large I have had no real interst in what most would call pop music. I got American V and plan to get American IV by Johnny Cash and I got the Green album by Weezer. I got some Jeff Buckley but Vespertine is the most recent pop album I now own. After surveying about a thousand years of Western music it's just hard to find a reason to pay attention to pop music unless a friend or family member mentions something to me. Coldplay is okay, not so awesome I would be sure of owning one of their albums but maybe that'll change.

Bjork sort of reminds me of Peter Gabriel in a way because her lyrics seem completely secondary to musical ambience.

Also revisiting the Blanton-Webster band of Ellington. Warm Valley is one of the greatest jazz ballads ever written.

Well, I get to do travelling this week and if the training is as problematic as I fear it might be I'll bring some big long book I need to read along the way. I've been reading, slowly I'm afraid, Peter Hill and Nigel Simeone's book on Messiaen. And eventually plowing through the unabridged City of God is on the to-do list.

No comments: