The Daily Evergreen, Monday
October 19, 1992
Chatting with staff members in
the newsroom, the million dollar question surfaced: “Have you always been this
nuts or is it a recent phenomena?”
Good question. Actually, I was
not raised in a fundamentalist Christian home and did not own nor read a Bible
until my first year of college. In fact, I was not brain-washed as a child and
now view most issues much differently than my parents.
Throughout high school I was
probably a moderate Democrat and one of only three people who voted for Dukakis
in 1988 (the other two being his mother and wife). Studying the major
governments of the world I found Socialism appealing.
I was pro-abortion, feeling a
woman’s right to choose was of supreme value. I had respect for organized
religion but felt the church had no business meddling in public or private
affairs.
I prayed before meals, went to
church, believed there was a God and no matter what name you gave him, you
would go to heaven by being a good person and acknowledging he existed. I
admired other religions and hated frothing Bible-thumpers who always told other
people what to believe.
As president of my high school,
I pressed for a clinic in the school which would distribute condoms to students
because I believed students would have sex anyway and should be protected.
I did not approve of homosexual
acts but did have gay friends who I respected and weren’t bothering me so I
felt no one’s sexuality was anyone else’s business. I also felt premarital sex
between heterosexuals was acceptable, providing they were in a loving,
committed, monogamous relationship.
Knowing how many of my peers
did drugs I supported drug legalization to end the fierce gang battles which
hold our inner cities hostage.
Funding my own way through college I came to WSU because my scholarships were
only good for in state schools. Going through formal fall rush in 1989 I moved
into a house but left a short time after. After moving into a residence hall, I
met the most rabid Bible thumper ever. He drove me crazy. We agreed on nothing
and argued about everything.
One day I got fed up, told him
I was a Christian, and hoped he would stop trying to convert me. He was one of
those high strung guys who memorized the entirely Bible and quoted it freely to
defend his points.
During one of many heated
arguments I told him to never again support his arguments with Bible verses
lest I wring his fundamentalist pencil neck. I said, “the Bible is not 100
percent true: everyone interprets it different and you cannot believe every
part you read.” Big mistake. He said,
“prove it.” And so I tried.
I read numerous Christian and
non-Christian books trying to prove him wrong. Figuring he had twisted the
Bible to meet his own needs, I decided to read the entire New Testament for
myself, just to shut him up. I had never read much of the Bible but I knew he
was screwed up.
I was wrong.
As I read, I discovered he was
usually right on the mark. The more I researched the authenticity of the New
Testament and read it, the more frustrated I became. Everything I had believed
was wrong. I determined I was either the stupidest Christian in the world, or I
didn’t know God like I had thought.
My life was at a crossroads. I
was stuck between two options. The first consisted of continuing in my old ways
and rejecting the truth I had found. The other was a frightening alternative,
dying in a very real way to the Lordship of Christ.
My conscience would not let me
rest. No one forced me, no one beat down my door. My mind changed against my
will; the Spirit of God convinced me submission to Him was long overdue.
From that point on my world
view changed. Slowly my mind was opened to thoughts and perspectives I had
never considered. I have determined one cannot separate themselves from their
world view. Politics, economics, religion and morality all flow from the same
source – one’s world view. As my world view changed so did everything else in
my life … for the better.
As an imperfect man I continue
to make mistakes and interpret things wrong but my conscience is clear because
I attempt to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ and his
grace covers me when I fail. Today that frothing Bible thumper is one of my
dearest friends. I hope one day, through a similar course of events, you too
will consider me a friend.
http://web.archive.org/web/20001210191200/http://www.marshill.fm/who/our_history.htm
Our history
Seasons of Grace: The
Story of Mars Hill
By Pastor Mark Driscoll
"There is a time for everything, and a season for every
activity under heaven..."
-Solomon
http://download.marshill.se/files/2001/10/28/20011028_men-and-masculinity_sd_audio.mp3
MEN
AND MASCULINITY
Part 5 of Proverbs
Pastor Mark Driscoll | October 28, 2001
...
You know why schools, Christian schools, Christian churches, Christian
ministries are primarily female? Because the church is feminine, and masculine
men don’t feel comfortable there. It’s true. The church has adopted, I would
say, inordinately the bride metaphor from scripture. Women are very comfortable
from that. Men don’t understand that. It’s very hard for a man to think of
himself as a bride, wearing a white gown and walking down the aisle. If he’s
very comfortable with that, he has significant issues. He has much to work
through. And so, there are different metaphors in scripture that men and women
will gravitate toward in regards to their relationship with God. For
me, this is – this is a very important issue. I was raised in south Seattle, in
the ghetto, behind the Déjà vu, next to the airport. Okay? If you’ve been
there, you can repent and don’t go there anymore. [emphasis added] But,
for the rest of you, if you don’t know where it’s at, that’s fine. It’s – it’s
an interesting neighborhood. Gang-banging, drive-by’s, drugs, prostitution, the
green river killer was there, the whole thing. One of the local elementary
schools would have to go out on Monday and take the used condoms and the
syringes off the playground before the kids came. And so, I was the oldest of
five kids. And I grew-up in a blue-collar, hard-working, union family. My dad’s
name is Joe, and he hangs drywall. Okay?
…
My
dad’s a guy. My brothers are guys. I’m a guy. We love each other. Things are
good. I come from a decent home. And one my biggest fears in high school was
becoming a Christian, because I thought immediately I would have to become very
feminine. ‘Cause all the guys I knew who were Christians were just very
– very soft, very tender, very sort of weak guys. And I thought, “That’s just
not gonna work.” So, I wouldn’t go to youth group. They tried to drag me to – I
was in a Catholic church and our priest was gay, and I didn’t get this guy at
all. He would wear silk shirts and silk pants, and he would wear low –
basically, like, bathroom slippers all the time. [emphasis added] And
he would tan all year. So, he had a nice bronze glow.
And I didn’t relate to this guy at all, not in the least. I don’t – I don’t
– silk? Just – I don’t get that. And so, he – he was this very, very feminine
guy. And they tried to – I tried to go to church with my family and I didn’t get
it. So, they tried to take me into this youth thing, and it just didn’t work.
So, I just left. I said, “That’s it. I’m gone. There’s no men here.” [emphasis
added] ‘Cause it was all older ladies, women and children. You
couldn’t find a guy anywhere near it, and that’s not unusual. When I came to
Christ in college, reading the Bible, and realized the gospel, and I went
looking for a church; and a few of the first churches I went to were just
completely uncomfortable. It was like walking into Victoria’s Secret. The
décor, at first, it’s like fuchsia and baby blue, and there’s pink, and it’s
just like, “What in the world has happened here?” And then the songs are very
emotive, and it’s like love songs to Jesus, like we’re on a prom together or
something. And I didn’t get that at all, ‘cause that made me feel real odd. And
then – and then the guy preaches, and he’s crying and all this stuff, and
trying to appeal to my emotions. And I was just like, “This didn’t work.” So, I
kept looking for a church. So, I found a church where the guy got up and he
said, “This week I was out bow-hunting.” He used that as an illustration. So, I
became a member of that church. True story. I didn’t have any
theological convictions, but if a guy killed things then I – he could be my
pastor. [emphasis added]
http://download.marshill.se/files/2001/10/28/20011028_men-and-masculinity_sd_audio.mp3
MEN AND MASCULINITY
Part 5 of Proverbs
Pastor Mark Driscoll | October 28, 2001
starting at
54:45
Proverbs 29:21, “If a man pampers his
servant from youth, he will bring grief in the end.” These guys are pampered;
totally pampered. Okay? And again, this is not a boasting
on me. This is a – this is actually a tribute to my dad. I was eleven years
old. I was going out for the little league all-star team, and I needed a new
glove. My dad said, “Good. Go make some money.” I said, “Hey, dad, I’m eleven.”
He said, “Well, you’re taller than the lawn-mower. I’m sure you’ll figure
something out.” True. So, I get the lawn-mower, and I go and I mow lawns to get
my glove. And I come back and my dad says, “You owe me gas money. You used my
gas.” It’s the nicest thing my dad ever did. Up until that point, I didn’t know
gas cost money. Now, I do. Now, I appreciate gas.It comes to the point where
I’m 15 and I wanna get a car. I said, “Dad, I need a car.” He says, “Good. Go
get some money.” I said, “Okay, fine.” So, I falsified my birth certificate, I
lie about my age, and I get a job at a 7-11 selling lotto tickets and liquor
and cigarettes to people that are twice my age. I was not a Christian, so – I
shouldn’t have done it anyways, but I wasn’t a Christian. And so, I’m 15,
working at a 7-11 selling stuff. And I make a decent living, and I buy my first
car, a 1956 Chevy that I should’ve never sold. That’s a whole other sermon. And
– and so I’m 15, driving myself to work without a license, because I gotta go
make money to pay for my car. [emphasis added] Okay? And again, I was not a Christian. Okay? So, I’m not saying,
“Thus sayeth the Lord.”
And I realize that, since I was young and I was strong, I could make
more money. And so I started dinking around trying to figure out where to make
more money. And I find out that guys in unions make a lot of money. And – at
least compared to me working at the 7-11. And
I got tired of getting robbed and held-up, too. ‘Cause if you run a 7-11 behind
a Déjà vu, somebody’s gonna put a gun at your head. And after a couple of
those, you realize, “For minimum wage, I’m not taking a cap. You know? I’m not
gonna get shot for, like, a pack of cigarettes. I’m not gonna do that.” So, I
lied about my age. I falsified my birth certificate again, and told them I was
18. Got a job working long-shoring down on the docks in Seattle. And I would go
throw 100-pound sacks of peas, and unload trucks, and work hard. And they paid
me tremendous money. [emphasis added] At the time, it was like $10.00-something an hour. This was,
like, in 1986 or ’87 or something. And I’d work 40 hours a week, and over-time
was double-time. And none of the guys would wanna work over-time. Usually it
was on Friday, ‘cause they had to get containers out, and those guys all wanted
to go to the topless club.
And so, I would work all the over-time at
$20.00 an hour as a 16 year old kid. This is in the mid-‘80s. Right? So, I’m
loaded. I have money, money, money, money. So, I buy a car, and I start saving
for college, doing my stuff. And with my dad – I thank God for my dad. My dad’s
like, “You’re a guy. You work. You pay your way. Good. It’s good for you.” And
you know what? He’s right. He was totally right. Thank God for my dad. My
brother and my other brother and myself, we’re all doing great, making good
money, doing fine. My brothers are all in management leadership running
companies or businesses. It’s great. You pamper a guy from his youth, and he
just – he gets this course of action. All of the sudden he feels like if his
hands are dirty, or his muscles are sore, or if he put-in a long day, or
thought something was tough, that’s unusual; that’s abnormal. And so, he avoids
it.
http://marshill.se/marshill/media/galatians/faith-and-works
FAITH
AND WORKS
Part 4 of Galatians
Pastor Mark Driscoll
Galatians 3:1-14
June 02, 2002
...
11:23
And my misunderstanding was this: I
thought that as long as you believed in God and you were a good person, then
God would love you and you would go to Heaven. That’s what I thought. And if
you would have asked me, you know, when I was up until the age of 18 or 19,
“Are you a Christian?” I would’ve said, “Yes, and a Christian is someone who
believes in God and is a good person.” And that’s what I thought. Until a
drunken frat guy shattered my world with one decent question, and God uses
anything. He used a drunken frat guy, who was like a seventh year sophomore to
absolutely upset my theological worldview. [emphasis added]
I did not
drink because I made a list of rules to declare myself self-righteous. So, I
said, “Why, I’m gonna be a good person.” I made this little list of things that
I thought a good person should be. I won’t lie. I won’t steal. I won’t cheat. I
won’t drink. I won’t smoke. I won’t, you know, beat anyone up who doesn’t
deserve it. I won’t – I had this list of things that I would do and not do, and
I would declare myself “good.” That is the essence of works and
self-righteousness. That was basically my worldview. “I make my rules, and I
live up to them. I’m a great guy.”
So, I had
these rules, and one of my rules was I won’t drink because then God will look
down and say, “Well, I’m going to pick Mark for my team because he’s such a
great guy.” After all, I was.
So, what
happened was I was at a frat party in college, which is not the typical place
that God shows up in powerful, illuminating, theological acumen. But this
drunken frat guy came up, and he said, “Here. Drink a beer.” And I said, “No, I
don’t drink.” He said, “Why?” I said, “I’m a good person.” (Laughter)
And he said,
“Well, why do you want to be a good person?” I said, “Because I believe in God,
and I’m a good person.” He said, “Well, Jesus drank,” which is about the only
part of the Bible he really knew. That and, “Thou shalt not judge.” He put
those two verses together, and he’d come up with alcoholism. But anyway.
(Laughter)
I said, “No,
I’m a good person.” He said, “So, how do you know you’re gonna go to Heaven?” I
said, “I know I’m gonna go to Heaven because I’m a good person.” And he asked
this question that shattered my world. He was basically mocking me, trying to
get me to drink. And he said, “Well, how good do you have to be to go to
Heaven?” I thought, “I don’t know. That’s a good question. I don’t know.” And
he said, “Do you have to be good all the time? And if you’re not good some
days, does that cancel your bad days, and who makes the rules, and how do you
know what’s good and bad?” He was just sort of in a drunken stupor rambling,
but it was a really good question, I felt, particularly considering his
condition.
Radical
Reformission: Reacing Out Without Selling Out
Mark Driscoll
Copyright © 2004
by Mars Hill Church
Zondervan
ISBN
0-3310-25659-3
First edition
Pages 11-14
Culturally, I am
Irish, which means I have two emotions: angry and asleep. I was raised as the
oldest of five kids in a hardworking, blue-collar Catholic family near the
airport in Seattle, Washington. It was a Norman Rockwell-Precious Moments kind
of neighborhood just up the hill from the strip clubs and the hunting grounds
of the Green River Killer and Ted Bundy.
Growing up, I
thought that as long as I believed in a nebulous Sky Fairy named God and was a
decent, moral person outperforming those below me on the ethical food chain, I
would end my life hearing the old theme song from The Jeffersons television show and be “movin’ on up” to heaven with
all the other good guys. So I worked hard through high school and graduated
Most Likely to Succeed and student body president. I was very proud to have
never drunk alcohol, smoked a cigarette, tried a drug, or voted Republican.
Upon graduation,
I was awarded a few scholarships that enabled me to be the first person in my
family to go to college. So, wanting to get out of the city and try something
new, I moved about three hundred miles away to Washington State University,
which is tucked away in the wheatfields of eastern Washington. The university
was far away from big city life, complete with cows, instead of prostitutes,
standing around like dumb meat.
Without a car and
majoring in boredom, I began reading a nice Bible my high school girlfriend had
given me as a graduation present. She was a pastor’s daughter who, in
retrospect, should not have been dating me …
After a bad few
weeks of a frat experience that landed me in the freshman equivalent of
purgatory—a dorm—I sat down to read the Gospels. Frankly, they seemed boring
because they kept saying the same thing. I wondered if the Bible wasn’t written
by an old man with dementia, or by a young man who had gone to my “publick
skewl.” As I continued to read, Jesus seemed okay, but the guys I really
liked—because of their self-control and strength—were the denominational
leaders of that day: the Pharisees. They were about the only guys in the cast
of characters with any guts. I identified with them and was convinced they were
the good guys in the story … until they killed Jesus. I wasn’t much of a
theologian at the time, but murdering Jesus did seem like a bad move.
Moving on, as
Peter says, I found the writings of Paul hard to understand. His obsession with
sin reminded me of a DEA dog at the airport sniffing around for drugs with
tail-wagging enthusiasm. My problem was that I thought sin was something you do, not understanding that sin is
something you are, like being French
Canadian. To me, sins were terrible things that very bad people do, such as
rape, murder, drug dealing, and what my construction-worker dad called being
antiunion. Consequently, Paul seemed to be going after bad people. And since I
was a good person, I skipped Paul and started reading John’s Revelation. It
sounded eerily similar to the revelations an altar-boy buddy of mine had
reported seeing while assisting our priest with a Mass, shortly after smoking
lots of marijuana.
In my first
college philosophy class, I read Augustine, who said that sin naturally flows
from our polluted hearts like sewage out of a culvert. He explained that the
root of sin is pride and that the worst sins include things like false morality
and autonomy from God. This was, I believe, God’s extending to me the right
foot of fellowship.
I then read the
entire New Testament over the course of the next few weeks. God opened my eyes
to the fact that I was a Pharisee and that the worst sinners were often the
most moral and spiritual people who, like I was doing, pursue righteousness
apart from Jesus. As I was sitting on my dorm bed, the words of Romans 1:6,
“And you also are among those who are called to belong to Jesus Christ,” sound
in my head like an alarm. I realized that God had been pursuing me and was, in
that moment, screaming into the three pounds of meat between my ears that I
belong to Jesus.
That week, I
started teaching my first Bible study. …
It then dawned on
me that I had been a Christian for only a few days, had never been in a Bible
study, and did not really know anything in the Bible other than the fact that I
sucked and that Jesus is God. So I told the guys they could ask me any question
about the Bible and I would take the following week to research the answer,
since I didn’t have any answers yet. This was my first ministry and it inspired
me to begin buying commentaries, reference materials, theology texts,
apologetics books, and the like, which were more interesting by far than most
of my classes. For example, I had a class in women’s studies in which I learned
that men are a plague running the world and that I needed to get in touch with
my feminine side, which made about as much sense as telling a dog to get in
touch with its feline side.
Shortly thereafter, I found a
good church that met my criteria. First, the pastor was a man who had been in
the military and knew how to kill people in self-defense. Second, he taught
through the Bible verse by verse, so that I could learn to trust the Scriptures
and to love Jesus without feeling like we had a thinly veiled homosexual
relationship. I attended their men’s retreat in Idaho with other hairy
mage-bearers of God, and spent a weekend talking about things such as sex, pipe
tobacco, and monotheism. It was about the best weekend I could remember having
in my life at that time.
Late one night during the
retreat, I went down to the river and was compelled by God to kneel for some
time in prayer. Then it happened! He
spoke to me and told me what to do with the days between my birth and
judgment—in other words, my life. He
told me to lead men, preach Scripture, plant churches, marry Grace, and trust
Him. So I married Grace, began studying Scripture with the enthusiasm of a
glutton at a buffet, and started preparing myself to become a pastor who does
not go to jail for doing something stupid. To pay the bills, I edited the
opinions section of the campus newspaper, writing inflammatory columns that led
to debates, radio interviews, and even a few bomb threats—which was wonderful,
because the only thing worse than dying is living a boring life.
After graduation, Grace and I
moved back to Seattle and began visiting churches. We finally settled into a
large suburban church where I felt at home because it met my criteria. First
the pastor (who looked like Mr. T) had been an NFL linebacker and knew how to
kill people in self-defense. Second, he taught the Bible verse by verse in a
real way, one that enabled me to have a relationship with Jesus that did not
feel like he was my lifelong prom date.
Pages 31-35
As a newer Christian, I was the
plankton in a conservative suburban megachurch food chain. My hope was to get
called up to the big leagues and be a full-time pastor, and so I attended a
solid Bible-teaching seminary, volunteered at the church, and labored to buid a good reputation
as a morally upright man. I did not drink, smoke, or do anything that could
give others the impression that I was a bad
sinner.
Then I got a phone call from an
old college friend whom God had used to bring me to faith. He was a zealous
charismaniac type who had relentlessly chased me around campus the first few
months of my freshman year, trying to get me to pray the Sinner’s Prayer. After
my conversion, he became a Christian friend. But in the years since college, I
had lost touch with him. So I was now happy to hear his voice on the phone, and
we scheduled a time to get together.
Over lunch, he informed me that
he had been a closet homosexual throughout college, had joined the military
after graduation, and had recently been discharged for having sex with fellow
soldiers. He was presently frequenting public bathrooms throughout the city and
having anonymous sex with various men. He shared that he was wrestling through
whether he believed that he was a sinner and whether he still believed in God.
When I invited him to attend church with me, he declined, saying that it was
unfair for me to expect him to come into my Christian subculture, since I was
unwilling to go with him into his homosexual subculture.
And he was right. So, feeling
convicted to be like Jesus, I told him I would be happy to go into his world if
he would come into mine. Seeing an evil dervish grin emerge on his face, I knew
I was in trouble. He invited me to a gay country and western bar he frequented.
At the time, I did not drink and disliked no one more than limp-wristed gay men
and cowboys. I could not conceive of a worse purgatory than the one awaiting
me.
I went home to inform my lovely
bride about the mess I had gotten myself into, discovering that she was both
supportive and good humored. The following week, I went out with my skinny,
feminine gay buddy, who dressed up in tight jeans, goofy boots, and a big hat
for a night of country line-dancing. Walking through the front door of the
queer cowboy club, I was hit with the shrill sound of country and western music
and the sight of a set of skinny men sporting tight jeans, well-groomed
mustaches, and boots, even though we were in the middle of downtown Seattle and
at least an hour’s drive away from the nearest horse.
My friend took me to the bar
and introduced me to a number of his gay buddies, who were drinking—of
course—light beer. Feeling like I was wearing someone else’s underwear, I stood
there and tried to be inconspicuous, praying that no one would recognize me.
Then someone I had graduated from high school with approached me with a
surprised look. She asked, “What are you doing here?” And I quickly blurted
out, “I’m married to a woman and here with a friend, but I’m not a gay guy, so
please don’t tell anyone I’m a queer.” She laughed and we chatted for a few
minutes until a song she obviously liked came on, and she then shuffled off to
the dance floor with her girlfriend.
Then a guy introduced himself
and hit on me. Stunned, I did not immediately respond but instead stared at the
poor guy, trying to figure out why he looked so familiar, how he could mistake
me for a gay guy, and if I was really good-looking. It then hit me and I asked
him, “Are you my mailman?” He replied, “Yes, I am a mailman.” Suddenly, I
wanted to kill myself and never get mail again.
My buddy had abandoned me at
the bar, and I frantically searched for him in hopes that if I was with him, no
one else would hit on me. I found him drinking a fruity drink and flirting with
an enormous man. I asked him how long we were staying since the first five
minutes in this hell were about all I could handle. But he said, “Mark, I have
to go to a special room upstairs for about an hour, so you are welcome to come
up with me or stay down here until I return.” I asked what they did in that
room, hoping I would not throw up my dinner after hearing his answer. Here’s
how he responded: “It’s not an orgy. It’s a meeting for the gay rodeo
committee.”
Gay rodeo?
Those were simply the last two
words I had ever anticipated hearing together. He explained that the queer
cowboys were hoping to have a rodeo and that he was on the planning committee.
Not wanting to sit at the bar for an hour getting hit on, I chose to go to the
planning meeting with a few dozen other guys. We all sat in a circle like we
were in a home Bible study. The meeting opened with introductions, everyone
giving their names and vocations.
I had prided myself on aspiring
to the pastorate but now found myself in an awkward position. My buddy leaned
over and whispered in my ear, “What are you going to tell them you do for a
living?” Unsure, I said, “I have no idea. Maybe I’ll tell them I am a teacher
or a spiritual director.”
When it came to my turn, I
tried to avoid the inevitable conflict and lied to them by saying I was a
spiritual something-or-other, hoping the queer cowboys would smile, nod, and
ignore me. But one of the cowboys asked what my religion was. So I came out of
my closet and told him I was a Bible-thumping, old-school Christian preacher,
causing some of the guys to laugh, thinking I was kidding. The rest of the
meeting went well and was not all that different from the boring staff meetings
we had at the megachurch, where people who hadn’t done much tried to appear as
if they had. The guys were very nice, so
afterward when we returned downstairs, I ended up buying some of them beers.
However, I did not drink that evening because I wanted to respect the church’s
authority aver me, which forbade alcohol consumption.
One of the guys asked if I was
actually a real pastor and began explaining how his lover and many of his
friends had died of AIDS. Actually, he began discipling me, articulating with
great pain the loneliness and death that filled his community and explaining
why he feared death. He asked what happens when someone dies and wanted to know
what would happen to him, in particular. He was attentive as I sought to relate
the gospel to his life: sin causes death, but Jesus is God who became a man and
died—when he was about the same age as this man—in order to rise from death,
forgive sin, and give eternal life to those who repent of sin and trust in him.
I explained that only Jesus can take us through our own deaths and comfort us
after the deaths of others, because he alone has been through death and come
back.
The man was not converted
during our chat but in many ways, I was.
As I left the bar, God
convicted me about my proud addiction to morality and my attempt to look like a
decent guy so that others would like me. I was so insecure that I feared not
only that my Christian friends would see me walking out of a gay bar with queer
cowboys but also that the queer cowboys would reject me for being a Bible
thumper who, deep down, believed they were running headlong to hell in their
cowboy boots. I cared more about how I
appeared to people than about whether I shared the passion of Jesus for those
who are lost.
That night, I learned that
reformission requires that Christians and their churches move forward on their
knees, continually confessing their addictions to morality and the appearance
of godliness, which does not penetrate the heart and transform lives. In the
end, I learned that God’s mission is not to create a team of moral and decent
people but rather to create a movement of holy loving missionaries who are
comfortable and truthful around lost sinners and who, in this way, look more
like Jesus than most of his pastors do.
Confessions of a Reformission Rev
Mark Driscoll, Zondervan 2006
ISBN-13: 978-0-310-27016-4
ISBN-10:0-310-27016-2
Chapter One: Jesus, Our Offering Was $137
and I Want to Use it to Buy Bullets (0-45 people)
Pages 38-39
It was the first half of 1996 and I was
twenty-five years of age chronologically, six years of age spiritually, and
trying to gather enough people to launch Mars Hill Church in the city of
Seattle. …
I had spent the previous two years as the
college ministry intern plankton at the bottom of the food chain at a multiracial
megachurch and had used the youth room to run a college group in Seattle.
College ministry soon started to feel like hanging out with an ex-girlfriend,
so I hit the eject button because life-stage ministry was a vocational dead
end.
…
So I decided to start a church, for three
reasons. First, I hated going to church and wanted one I liked, so I thought I
would just start my own. Second, God had spoken to me in one of those weird
charismatic moments and told me to start a church. Third, I am scared of God
and try to do what he says.
Page 53
So in an effort to clarify our mission, I
wrote down on paper the first of what would eventually be many strategic plans.
I shot for the moon rather foolishly and decided that our church that was not
big enough to fill a bus would plant multiple churches, run a concert venue,
start a Bible institute, host conferences, and change the city for Jesus. …
Real Marriage: the truth about sex, friendship
and life together
Mark and Grace Driscoll
Thomas Nelson
copyright (c) 2012 by On Mission, LLC
ISBN 978-1-4041-8352-0
Pages 5-6
I (Mark) was raised in a very rough
neighborhood near the airport in Seattle before it was incorporated as a city.
Without a local police force, it resembled the Wild West. There were multiple
strip clubs, seedy massage parlors, and hourly rate motels down the street from
my home. The prostitutes walked the streets openly and were brazen enough to
even walk up and knock on my car window, seeking “business,” as I waited for
the light to turn green. Some of these young women attended my high school; and
serial killers murdered some of them. Ted Bundy and the Green River Killer
picked up many of their victims in my neighborhood, even dumping at least two
of their bodies at my Little League field.
The men on my father’s side included
uneducated alcoholics, mental patients, and women beaters. This includes an
uncle who died of gangrene and his sons, roughly my age, who have been in
prison for beating women and were supposedly on the television show Cops. One of the main reasons my parents moved from North Dakota to Seattle
was to get away from some family members when I was a very young boy.
Growing up, my goal was to get out of my
neighborhood and enjoy a new and better life. I did not want to get trapped by
gangs, drugs, alcohol, crime or manipulative women. I wanted to get an
education; make some money; live in a better neighborhood; marry a nice
beautiful woman; and be a father. This was my vision from a very young age.
I did not drink and to this day have never
done any drugs or taken a puff of a cigarette. I did well in sports and school.
By fifteen I had lied about my age, falsified my birth certificate, bought a
car, and drove myself to work at a 7-Eleven (near the strip clubs), where I
sold liquor, condoms, porn, and rubbing alcohol for freebasing drug addicts who
lived in the low-income apartments next door.
Around this time I also started having sex with a girlfriend.
I was the “good guy” in my high school. I
graduated high school “Most Likely to Succeed,” student body president, Man of
the Year, editor of the school newspaper, and a four-year letterman in
baseball. I was part of a bond campaign to renovate our school and was active
in a state political campaign. I was a moral, religious boy from a Catholic
home who, for the most part, stayed out of trouble, despite a short wick, a
foul mouth, and bad temper that resulted in doling out more than a few beatings
to various guys—usually for what they were doing to women and children. In short, I was a good guy and a tough guy,
so I thought.
At seventeen I became smitten with a cute
girl named Grace who was a grade older ins chool. A friend in common introduced us, and before
long we were going out on our first date.
Grace was a pastor’s daughter, and although she was a Christian, she had
fallen into drinking and partying. Underneath the “fun girl” image, though, she
was hurting. It was a lonelyplace for a young woman to be. She was the youngest
of three girls and was very shy and naïve, not understanding the world around
her.
Innocence in a child is normal and healthy,
but naivety is when you believe things or trust people without ever questioning
them, and it leads to a lack of discernment.
… For example, Grace used to walk alone at night around a dark and
dangerous campus and would unknowingly put herself in dangerous positions with
guys.
Pages 7-8
Not long after, God saved me
while I was sitting in my dorm, reading the Bible Grace had given me. Back in
high school, once she suspected that I was probably not a Christian, she did
not break up with me as she should have. Instead, she bought me a nice leather
Bible with my name on it. I had not really read it up until that point, but it
kept it around as a sort of a good-luck charm. That day I finally picked it up.
I was not going to church, had not heard a gospel presentation or read the
Bible, and no one lead me to Christ. In Romans 1:6, I read, “You also are among
those who are called to belong to Jesus Christ” (NIV). God highlighted that
statement in my soul, and it seemed evident o me from that moment forward that
my life was not my own. I belonged to Jesus Christ like a tool in His hand for
whatever He wanted.
I soon went searching for a
church, unclear of what I was even looking for and afraid that I might end up
in a cult. By God’s grace, I ended up in a solid Bible-teaching church, where I
was taught about Jesus, marriage, sex, and family. I absolutely loved my first
church; the people were invaluable in teaching me about life as God intended,
without pretention or legalistic rules. I often thank God that my first church
was a wonderful church and one of the highlights of my entire life.
In the spring I attended my
first men’s retreat with the church. The pastor told us to spend some time in
prayer with God. I went for a walk and asked God what He wanted me to do with
the rest of my life. Uncertain of what would happen, I was basically just
walking along a river in the Idaho woods, talking aloud to God, when He spoke
to me. I had never experienced anything like that moment. God told me to devote
my life to four things. He told me to marry Grace, preach the Bible, train men,
and plant churches. Since that day in 1990, that’s what I have been pursuing by
God’s grace.
…
Ah,
so in this account he dropped the “I hated going to church and started one I
liked” account. He loved his first church, which apparently was the one
pastored by Doug Busby. Then we get the walk along a river in the Idaho woods
and the audible calling. Driscoll had
long since omitted the “I have called you out from among many to lead men” part
and emphasized the four things to do. Since in each case Driscoll’s account has
it that God audibly designated him with a special destiny and purpose there isn’t
really a contradiction between any of these accounts. What is more slippery is
whether or not in God reportedly calling Mark Driscoll to do these things where
Mark “needed” to be audibly told by God to do what, across the accumulated
accounts of his conversion process, he had been telling people he was sure God
was going to use him to do anyway!
A
Call to Resurgence: Will Christianity Have a Funeral or a Future
Mark Driscoll
Copyright (c) 2013 by On Mission, LLC and Mark
Driscoll
ISBN 978-1-4143-8362
ISBN 978-1-4143-8948-6
Pages 17-18
… I was raised in
an Irish Catholic home. My family is from Country Cork in southern Ireland, and
we have been devoutly Catholic for as far back as any history can be traced.
(My father and I ventured to the homeland to investigate the Driscoll heritage
for ourselves.) My paternal grandmother was a staunch Catholic who preferred
Latin Mass and was not enthusiastic about the changes adopted at the Second
Vatican Council in 1965. Despite her emphasis on tradition, it is my sincere
belief that my grandmother did possess saving faith in Jesus and was born again
by the Holy Spirit rather than being just born into the church. My mother was
also born into a Catholic family but she was born again during the Catholic
Charismatic Renewal of the 1970s, when she started attending prayer meetings
and Bible studies with evangelical charismatics.
So I was born
into a Catholic family with a believing mother and grandmother. I was baptized
as an infant, went to Catholic school for a few years, and served as an altar
boy. By the time I was a teenager, however, I attended church only for
holidays, weddings, and funerals, mainly because that’s what my family did. I
enjoyed traditions such as sitting under stained glass by candlelight during
midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, but beyond the aesthetics I had no interest in
church. I professed a faith that I most certainly did not possess and hardly
ever practiced.
In my junior year
of high school I met an evangelical pastor’s daughter named Grace (who is now
my wife, my best friend, and the mother of our five children). Smitten with
her, I asked her out. She responded by asking me if I was a Christian, to which
I replied with a confident yes. After dating me for a while, however, she began
to have her suspicions I had no innate zeal for Jesus or Scripture and showed
no evidence of new life in Christ. She gave me a nice Bible as a gift, and by
God’s grace I was saved while reading it during my freshman year in
college.
…
An arty, jock,
altar boy
I was raised Catholic and
served for a few years as an altar boy while attending Catholic grade school.
I’ve got an artistic bent. I like architecture, interior design, music, visual
arts, etc. Growing up I was an odd mix: a jock who played a lot of sports, a
fighter who got in more than a few brawls, and an artist who liked to sketch,
draw, and experiment with various mediums. I appreciated the artistry of the
Catholic Church. Stained glass, paintings, colors, icons, statues, candles—it
was all quite beautiful.
Some Catholics are born-again,
Jesus-loving Christians. I was not one of them. I was a spiritual religious guy
until Jesus saved me at the age of 19. At that time, I started attending an
evangelical Protestant church. The first thing I noticed is that it was very
plain in comparison to my Catholic upbringing. No icons. No paintings. No
candles.
Pretty soon, I started reading
up on the history of the Protestant Reformation. I learned that Protestants
were intentionally plain in the building and furnishing of their church worship
spaces. They feared that some people had started acting like pagans worshiping
created things instead of the Creator God, as if art was a mediatorial conduit
between us and God, bringing God near to us. This made sense to me as I had
seen people pray to saints, leave gifts at the statues of saints much likes
pagans do their own false gods, and let the focus of worship deviate from the
Creator to things created.
10.From Driscoll’s first
Charisma House published work in 2018
Pages xxi-xii
… When I was eighteen in 1989, a pastor’s
daughter I was smitten with gave me my first Bible. She even had my name
embossed on the front. (Eventually I bought her a ring, so for any single guys
reading this, the moral of the story is: if a nice Christian girl buys you a
Bible, you should buy her a ring!) I
took that Bible to college with me, started reading it out of curiosity, and
became a Christian simply through Bible reading—something I had not done
much before. I then found a great church that helped me further learn the
Bible. [emphases added]
At a Bible study class I brought my Bible
and a big book on systematic theology. I asked my pastor if the theology book
was a good one. He pointed at my Bible and asked if I’d read all of it yet. I
told him I had not. He took the theology text out of my hand. It was like a
stickup without a gun. My wise pastor then told me I needed to read the entire
Bible before I read anything else.
I went home and started reading my Bible. I
read the whole Bible in a short time—weeks or maybe months. I went back to my
pastor to report my finished assignment, fully expecting him to tell me to
start reading the theology text. Instead, he told me I needed to read a short
book in my Bible, to study it until I had committed much of it to memory and
could explain it from my heart, and to continue this process until I died. That’s
what I have been doing ever since.
I’ve also been doing four other things I was
instructed to do early in my Christian walk. At the time, I had barely started
going to church, and I impulsively signed up for a men’s retreat, a first for
me. On a crisp weekend a group of us drove toward the Washington/Idaho border,
stopping at a camp set amidst a rugged landscape of big mountains and rocks.
Being a city kid, this was not the kind of
place or crowd where I usually hung out. There was nothing for miles and miles,
and the bearded brothers got together to study and sing. They belted out old
hymns as if they meant them. Toward the end of a meeting the pastor announced,
“I want each of you to schedule some time with God just to talk to Him.”
“A meeting with God?” I thought. “OK, I
don’t know what that means.” I just decided to go for a walk.
A big river flowed through the camp,
splitting the trees and creating a beautiful sound as the water rushed over the
rocks raging with whitecaps. I walked upstream alongside the river, enjoying
the quiet and sun and raw beauty. I hiked out and back for maybe an hour,
talking to God conversationally. “God—like—well—I’m supposed to schedule a
meeting with You.” I talked out loud. I didn’t know if that was a good idea. I
didn’t know how to do this. “SSo it’s me—Mark—and You know—I—um—what do You
want me to do now that I’m a Chrsitian?” After a pause I added something like,
“I’ll do whatever You want.”
I waited all by myself.
And God spoke to me audibly.
He said, “Marry Grace, preach the Bible,
train young men, and plant churches.”
God had just told me to do four things, but
honestly I had no idea what any of it meant. I had just met Jesus. Grace and I
weren’t engaged. I didn’t really know what pastors did since I grew up catholic
and the only pastor I knew was or priest, a poor virgin who lived at the church
and walked around in a bathrobe (or at least that’s’ what I thought as a kid).
I hoped maybe there was another kind of pastor.
Imagine where you were at nineteen, just
trying to figure out what comes next. I wasn’t sure what God had in store, but
it sounded like an adventure. I just wanted to obey God—whatever that meant.
Win Your War: Fight in the Realm You
Don't See for Freedom in the One You Do
Mark and Grace Driscoll
Charisma House (2019)
ISBNs 9781629996257 and
9781629996264
Pages xxvii-xxviii
… Long before we met in 1988, got
married in 1992, and started planting our first church in 1995, we grew up in
very different families with different levels of awareness of the spiritual
realm.
I (Grace) grew up in a Christian home
with two older sisters. My dad was an Evangelical pastor who graduated from
Dallas Theological Seminary. My parents planted a church before I was born and
served there for over forty years. My dad did his share of counseling with his
gift of mercy, so he began a recovery ministry for addicts that brought him
face to face with demonic activity.
Growing up, I remember stories of
people who manifested demonic activity. Some were tormented until they
experienced emotional deliverance. Others suffered physical torment until they
were healed by the removal of the unclean spirits. Dad told me stories of
people who manifested superhuman strength, even throwing him across the room.
At other times, demons would inflict pain upon him when he touched a person. It
all seemed kind of crazy to hear as a child, but I knew Dad was confident of
God’s power over the demonic, so I was too.
I (Mark) grew up in a Catholic home
with a mom who was saved and healed at a prayer meeting with Charismatic and
Pentecostal women. I did not know the Lord until age nineteen in college,
reading the Bible that Grace bought for me. But I did have some encounters with
the demonic.
My most vivid memory is from high school.
I was coming down the stairs at a friend’s house and felt a strong force
pressing against my chest, prohibiting me from coming down the stairs. I pulled
myself forward on the handrails and, letting go, found myself suspended in
midair parallel with the stairs. When I told my friend about this experience ,
his mother explained that a priest had lived there. The house had an office as
well as a confessional where people came to have meetings with the priest until
the day he killed himself in the house. Then my friend’s family moved in, and
the father was very involved in the occult. As a result, unusual things were
common in the home.
In spite of these encounters with the
supernatural, neither of us came from a background where we learned how to
engage in spiritual warfare. Grace had experienced an attack on her family
through sickness and nightmares, but her dad was more involved with battling
against it. I was a new Christian who slowly worked through a master’s degree
at a seminary with Conservative Baptist roots. In addition I interned at a
church where the senior pastor believed that the supernatural gifts of the
Bible had ceased and that Christians could not have much influence on demons.
So when demonic things started
happening in our ministry, we did not know what to do. We began reading books
on the issue and meeting with godly pastors who had some insight. More than
anything we prayed and studied the Bible a lot, even looking up every single
occurrence of Satan and demonic activity in the Bible. The Lord was gracious,
and we learned about such things as discernment, effective prayer, and how to
see people liberated from spiritual oppression with the principles of Ephesians
6:10-20
By God’s power we saw people delivered
from spiritual oppression. Many people stopped taking medications because their
tormenting voices and panic attacks went away. Some people were also
miraculously healed. We did not speak much about these things so as not to
detract from our focus on Jesus or confuse our young people who were just
learning the basics of Christianity.
…
We
are still giving 10 percent of our money to help lead the Acts 29 Church Planting Network. I’m still writing a lot, including a book titled Death by Love on the subject of the cross that is nearing completion.
This week we did a free training about preaching for nearly a hundred pastors
in our area and the guys ate a lot of meat for lunch. We captured my lecture on
preaching and will vodcast it in chunks here on this site free of charge, as
always, before too long. We’ve also upgraded our cameras to high-def so that
the free stuff we do give away through Resurgence and Mars Hill will be as high
quality as possible in an effort to help equip as many people around the world
as possible on our dime.
…
DEATH BY LOVE
Copyright (c) 2008 by Mark Driscoll and Gerry
Breshears
Published by Crossway Books
PDF ISBN: 978-1-4335-0423-5
ISBN-10: 1433501295
ISBN-13: 9781433501296
From Chapter
Two:
Lust is My God:
Jesus is Thomas’s Redemption
Pages 67-68
What scares me most is that I am so very much like you. We
both grew up poor. We both grew up as highly competitive jocks. We both grew up
smarter and tougher than most of the people we knew. We both saw our first porn
magazine at an early age. We both had sex with our first girlfriend in our
teens. We both had violent tempers that intimidated other people. We both
graduated with honors as good students and respected leaders. We both went to
college intent on fighting, partying, and having a lot of sex with hot girls.
[emphasis added]
Yet, unlike
you, Jesus grabbed me by the neck and redeemed me from the life I was pursuing. I thought I would get married some day,
have a few kids, make a lot of money running some company, commit adultery and
look at porn on the side (but seek to manage it so that it did not affect my
family), lose my temper now and then and then to cuss out my wife and kids, and
still attend church occasionally, because I considered myself a good spiritual
person. [emphasis added]
Since Jesus
redeemed me from the life I was headed for, things could not be more different.
To be honest, I am actually quite surprised that I have been faithful to my
wife since I met her in 1988. I’m equally surprised that I have not been in a
fight since Jesus redeemed me.
The truth is
that you and I are exactly alike in every way but one. Despite the fact that I
have not lived in sexual sin as you have, the Bible says that regardless of all
the “good” things I did as a non-Christian, I was corrupt and dominated by
sinful desires at the core. By redeeming me from one way of life and redeeming
me to another way of life, though, Jesus has done something remarkable for me
and has saved me from myself. My life is going well; much better, in fact, than
the life I had planned for myself. He has given me a new heart so my deepest
desires are like his. None of it, however, is the result of my own doing.
Because I am not a great guy; rather, Jesus is a great God.
A letter from Pastor Mark
Driscoll
November 8, 2007
Dear Mars Hill Church Members,
I grew up in Seattle not knowing
Jesus. Thankfully, Jesus saved me when I was nineteen years of age while a
college freshman. Shortly thereafter He led me to my first church, where a
humble and godly pastor was used of God to change my life by teaching me about
Jesus from the Bible. While attending my first men’s retreat with that church,
God spoke to me for the first time in my life. He told me to marry Grace,
preach the Bible, train men, and plant churches. It was then, at the age of
nineteen, that I began preparing to devote my life to obeying His call for me.
I studied speech in my
undergraduate work to prepare for preaching. I joined as many as six Bible
studies a quarter to learn Scripture. I began reading nearly a book a day,
which continued for many years. I married Grace while still in college. In
addition, I began recruiting college friends to one day be part of the core
group for Mars Hill Church, which I intended to see planted in Seattle.
Following graduation from college, Grace and I moved back to Seattle where we
got jobs and started settling in as a broke young couple trying to figure out
how and where to plant Mars Hill Church.
By the age of twenty-four we
were gathering the core group for the church plant while I was working
part-time at Antioch Bible Church and a Christian bookstore that was open in
Greenwood at the time. Joining me in the plant were two godly men named Mike
Gunn and Lief Moi who were very much devoted to the work and, although young
and inexperienced, I praised God for the support of those men who remain
friends to this day by God’s grace.
At the age of twenty-five I had
the privilege of preaching the opening sermon at Mars Hill Church and I have
remained the primary preaching pastor ever since. I have learned a lot over the
years. Much of that learning has been through mistakes, failure, and pain. The
early years of the church, chronicled in my book Confessions, were very
difficult in every way. In more recent years, our fast growth has been a
wonderful blessing but also fraught with difficulties.
For
me personally, everything culminated at the end of 2006. Despite rapid growth,
the church was not healthy and neither was I. [emphasis
added] My workload was simply overwhelming. I was preaching five times a
Sunday, the senior leader in Mars Hill responsible to some degree for literally
everything in the church, president of the Acts 29 Church Planting Network
which had exploded, president of The Resurgence, an author writing books, a
conference speaker traveling, a media representative doing interviews, a
student attending graduate school, a father with five young children, and a
husband to a wife whom I have adored since the first day I met her and needed
my focus more than ever. I was working far too many hours and neglecting my own
physical and spiritual well-being, and then I hit the proverbial wall. For many weeks I simply could not sleep
more than two or three hours a night. I had been running off of adrenaline for
so many years that my adrenal glands fatigued and the stress of my
responsibilities caused me to be stuck “on” physically and unable to rest or
sleep. After a few months I had black circles under my eyes, was seeing a fog,
and was constantly beyond exhausted. [emphasis added]
Nonetheless, the demands on me
continued to grow as the church grew. We added more campuses, gathered more
critics, saw more media attention, planted more churches, purchased more real
estate, raised more money, and hired more staff. It was at this time that I
seriously pondered leaving Mars Hill Church for the first time ever. I still
loved our Jesus, loved our mission, loved our city, and loved our people.
However, I sunk into a deep season of despair as I considered spending the rest
of my life serving at Mars Hill Church. I simply could not fathom living the
rest of my life with the pace of ministry and amount of responsibility that was
on me. Furthermore, the relational demands of the church and its leaders
depleted me entirely. In short, I had lost my joy and wanted to lose my job
before I lost my life. Tucking my children in bed at 1 night became a deeply
sorrowful experience for me; I truly feared I would either die early from a
heart attack or burn out and be left unable to best care for my children in the
coming years. I have met many pastors who have simply crossed the line of
burnout and never returned to health and sanity and that was my frightful but
seemingly inevitable future.
One of the problems was that
Mars Hill had essentially outgrown the wisdom of our team and needed outside
counsel. The church had grown so fast that some of our elders and other leaders
were simply falling behind and having trouble keeping up, which was
understandable. To make matters worse, there was a growing disrespect among
some elders who were jockeying for and abusing power. The illusion of unity our
eldership had maintained over the years was kept in part by my tolerating some
men who demanded more power, pay, control, and voice than their performance,
character, or giftedness merited. While this was a very short list of men, as
elders they had enough power to make life truly painful.
At the same time I began
receiving other lucrative job offers that would allow me to study, preach, and
write without all of the administrative duties and burdens for which I am not
sufficiently gifted to be responsible for. For the first time in my life, the
thought of leaving Mars Hill sounded very relieving. Since I had given ten
years of my life to the church and love the people desperately, it was obvious
to me that something was deeply wrong that such offers would even be
intriguing.
From Chapter
Eight:
My Daddy is a
Pastor: Jesus is Gideon’s Unlimited Limited Atonement
Pages 164-166
…
My wife,
Grace, and I love Gideon and thank God for him often. My wife is petite, and I
have a big head, which resulted in C-sections with the birth of each of our
children. Having endured one miscarriage and four C-sections, Grace was ready
to be done with pregnancies. But I was not yet ready to do anything to prevent
God from giving us ac hild. So, we left it in God’s hands and were given
Gideon, whom I affectionately refer to as Guppy, for being the youngest, and as
Flip Flop, because at a very young age he decided he only wanted to wear
flip-flops on the wrong feet for the rest of his life. To her credit, Grace often gives mea hug and thanks me for not stopping at four
children, because Gideon has been an absolute blessing and a joy to our family.
Grace and I
first met at the age of seventeen in high school. By God’s grace, Jesus saved
me and made me a Christian when I was nineteen, and at age twenty-one Grace and
I were married. I do not believe I would have been a good father before my
salvation because I was prone to moments of rage.
My upbringing
included violence and, not knowing Jesus, I began to adopt some of the very
same sins, such as anger and violence, that surrounded me. Had Jesus not saved
me from myself, Satan, sin, and death I am certain that I would not have
married a Christian woman like Grace. Without the cross I am also certain that
I would not have had an enduring and forgiving marriage, and I would be prone
to outbursts of anger and rage toward my children. However, because of Jesus’
powerful transforming grace, Gideon’s dad is a Christian with a marriage in
which the gospel is doing its work every day.
I am no longer
an angry, violent man, but rather a daddy who is very physically affectionate
and likes to wrestle and snuggle with his kids, including Gideon. …
Pages 166-167
…
For example, before I met Jesus I was guilty of sexual sin. I
was sexually active prior to marriage and also occasionally looked at
pornography. [emphasis added] But
because Jesus died for those sins and saved me from them, I have been able to
put those sins to death. As a result, you were brought into a family where your
mom and I truly love one another and have been faithful to one another in every
way. We know that apart from Jesus dying for our sin, sin would have killed our
marriage. You would have been either raised by a single mother or trapped in a
home of sin and bitterness, marked by unrest and hostility between your mother
and me, if it were not for Jesus’ death on the cross.
…
Jesus has been
at work in our extended family. Your
grandpa Joseph, from whom you get your middle name, has been used by God to
change the entire course of our family. His family history included a lot of
drunken domestic violence, and, because Jesus died for the sins he has
committed and those committed against him, your grandpa has been able to put to
death the sins that have plagued men in our family for generations. In many
ways your grandpa is a bit of a patriarch, and our family history has made a
great transition because of Jesus’ work in his life in recent years.
Were it not for Jesus, it is certain that the sins of
previous generations of men would still be at work. I likely would have been a
violent daddy whom you feared, and you have would grown up too be a bitter and
angry man yourself, who simply repeated the cycle of sin and death with your
own wife and children. Thankfully, Jesus died so that we could live new lives. [emphasis
added]
…
Because I did
not grow up with a Christian father or as a Christian, I am deeply aware of the
difference Jesus has made in our family and how blessed you are to have been
born into a family where Jesus has already been so diligently at work to
forgive and cleanse sin. My fear is that having lived only in a family where
Jesus has already worked, you will not fully appreciate or even recognize the
many benefits that come to you through his death and resurrection. I am writing
this when you are little in faith so that one day, when you are old enough to
understand it, Jesus will use it to help grow you in your love and appreciation
for who he is and what he has done for you.
Page 176
After four children, we thought we were done having babies because your mom suffered through painful C-sections with each birth, and we feared for her health. Yet, as I prayed, I believed that someone was missing from our family. Your mom prayed a lot and trusted me to lead our family. Out of our love you were conceived, and we were both thrilled because we believed that God had chosen you to be a blessing to our family and to the world in some way. Throughout the pregnancy, your mother and I and your siblings prayed daily for your physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health.
Here is a proposal for people who have observed Mark Driscoll to think about, and particularly for those who are supportive of him in the present day. We have seen that Mark Driscoll’s accounts of his conversion and calling stayed remarkably stable during the Mars Hill era. There were strategic omissions and inclusions depending on what audience he was writing to and what point he was trying to make to that audience but the core “origin myths” that Mike Cosper alluded to in the Christianity Today podcast The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill remained remarkably stable. By contrast, we’ve seen that the most significant revisions to the stories of Mark Driscoll’s conversion and calling stories have come after he resigned from Mars Hill. There were two elements to the changes: first, Mark began to present his conversion as a story of him just reading his Bible and not engaging any of the Christian intellectual traditions he was so eager to reference in his Mars Hill era accounts, particularly early on; second, Driscoll also demonstrated a habit of belittling his evangelical-but-not-charismatic influences during his don’t-call-it-Mars-Hill ministry years while simultaneously bringing more to the fore the extent to which his previously nominally Catholic family turned out to be possibly less nominal and more charismatic Catholic than he had let on previously.
It wasn’t uncommon for people I met within Mars Hill to just declare that their family weren’t Christians and yet when I’d hear that this person had parents who were United Methodist or that person had parents who were Lutheran what I took that to mean is not that these people who had parents were not even Christians but that these members or attenders of Mars Hill did not believe their family were really Christians based on criteria they were introduced to or adopted within Mars Hill Church. Mark Driscoll is prone to extremist rhetoric and has attracted extremists. I suggest that people keep that in mind when talking to anyone who was part of Mars Hill Church, especially if they were ever involved in leadership—I’m trying to put this respectfully and delicately but I think it has to be said for the record that not all of the extremist views that emanated from within Mars Hill necessarily came from Mark Driscoll himself—I met a few people over the years who were themselves such rabid extremists I think they brought their own extremist views into Mars Hill and Mark Driscoll’s own extremist tendencies were tacitly or explicitly invoked by other extremists within Mars Hill as a rationalization for ideas that did not originate with Mark Driscoll.
Which gets me roundaboutly to another observation I want to make, which is that something we keep seeing in Mark Driscoll’s defense of himself as “not perfect” is that he seems to defend himself by grading the real Mark Driscoll on a curve in which he compares himself to the Mark Driscoll he could have been in his alternate fantasized future from whatever he wanted from his earlier pre-born again days. This is a pattern that is most easily observed in Death By Love. Whether writing to “Thomas” or to his own son Gideon, Mark Driscoll makes a bit too much of who he thinks he would have been without Jesus to show that “I’m not perfect now but compared to who I would be without Jesus I am a sinner saved by grace.”
But let’s look at the arc of Mark Driscoll’s career of being “called out from among many to lead men”. Let’s even look at how he told someone before he considered himself born again that God was going to make him into a church planter and this before the audible calling account by an Idaho river. It’s hard to completely shake a sense that the stuff Mark Driscoll has claimed God told him to do was stuff that he wanted to do anyway. He fell in love with Grace Martin back when he considered himself some kind of Christian, after all. He planned to do some corporate thing and make a lot of money and surely he did that over the twenty years that Mars Hill Church was incorporated before it finally dissolved. Mark Driscoll may think he’s born again but it can seem, as I look at the decades of his ministry career, as though his born again conversion process brought with it a kind of retroactive sanctification of a careerist status-fixated quest for power and influence, a quest to redeem what in other men and women Mark Driscoll might regard as vices but that within himself are signs of divine appointment. This doesn’t make him a liar or a grifter, though it may signal that Mark Driscoll has had delusions of grandeur about the course his life ought to take since before he became a born again Protestant rather than the somewhat nominal Catholic he previously was.
I have argued at some length that we should think of Mark Driscoll as a propagandist rather than a pastor. I have relied on Jacques Ellul’s work to explore the proposal that Mark Driscoll is a propagandist and that it is as a propagandist we should understand his activities at Mars Hill. What I think has happened since 1995 is that Mark Driscoll has come to believe his own hype and is a propagandist who has long stopped being able to distinguish himself from his own propaganda, his persona from his person, and may have vanished into the Mark Driscoll he has presented himself as being in his contributions to media and social media. He is, I am sure, still a loving husband and a doting father but even Mark Driscoll once preached that this could be said of Haman. Driscoll may believe that what he has said and done throughout his years at Mars Hill was bad, maybe, but that he’s not unfit for ministry even if forty former pastors of Mars Hill have since said he is. Why?
To attempt to understand how and why Mark Driscoll might sincerely think he’s still fit for ministry we have needed to go through a lot of his stories of how he became a born-again low church Protestant rather than a nominal Catholic. There’s a pattern that emerges, ironically within his own polemics against Pharisaic moralists. Mark Driscoll lets himself off the hook for two basic reasons:
1. He goes back to his remarkably stable origin myths about his conversion and calling. Any strategic changes in these origin stories tend to be tailored to specific polemical and homiletic agendas without compromising much of the core narrative.
2. He grades himself and finds himself superior to others on the ethical food chain by grading on a curve in which he comes out better than anyone who, for instance, finds anything the least bit useful or interesting in critical theory, per his recent ebook.
But this was, as the Mark Driscoll of old told us, the deception he was prone to fall into, finding himself righteous enough to deserve Heaven because, however bad he could be on this or that moment, he was at least better than “them” on the ethical food chain.
No comments:
Post a Comment