Saturday, March 20, 2021

plagscan.com ... ?

Okay, so this is out of left field since posting on analytics stuff is not usually my thing but every once in a while plagscan.com shows up in the analytics.  As I've refused on general principle to ever monetize this blog it's not like I feel "ripped off" if people appropriate content published here in terms of any money.  Perhaps readers can share what plagscan is (or remind me since I dimly recall someone did explain what it's for). My gut sense has been that it's a sign that somebody isn't doing their own work for a paper of some kind. 


2 comments:

Eric said...

Looks like plagscan.com is simply an online plagiarism checker. Their hitting this site regularly doesn't mean anyone is plagiarising you. It means they are looking over the whole web to see if anything matches the documents they're analysing.

I imagine it would work like a search engine, crawling the whole web and building an index, and using the index to do a search on lots of words or phrases from the document.

Wenatchee the Hatchet said...

Ah, guts can be wrong. :)

There was a case where a Patheos blogger published material that was originally published here during the WW2 "using your penis" year without attribution. There are a lot of other reasons to distrust Patheos (Throckmorton is, I think, better off not having any connection to them).