Friday, April 17, 2020

Guitar Quartet Anemone perfoms "Bulgarian Rock 2020" by Ourkouzounov

As I recall, one of the comments Ethan Hein made about European music education is that it's more open to mixtures of "traditional" and "popular" styles than U.S. based music education can often be.

I "translate" that comment as an observation about work that develops fusions of "classical" with "not classical" styles, such as classical fusion with jazz or classical fusion with rock or classical fusion with whatever folk materials are at hand.

That's by way of coming back to the music of Atanas Ourkouzounov, whose "Bulgarian Rock 2020" for guitar quartet is contemporary "classical music", to be sure, but which is a charmingly rambunctious 7/8 Bulgarian prog rock dance for guitar quartet.  Link after the break


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK2V5X1M5Lo

Since I've stated that I've been an admirer of Atanas' work since the very start of this blog back in 2006 nobody who's read more than maybe a dozen posts at this blog (on music, at least) will be surprised that I enjoy Ourkouzounov's music.





No comments: