Sunday, December 28, 2008

Comments as drive-by events

This last year has seen some comments on this blog. By comments I don't mean, "I very much like your blog and here is a great money-making opportunity I want to share with you." We all know those aren't real comments. I mean comments about things I have written that contain substance to them. Many of the comments have been anonymous, and a few from people I know or am related to, and a handful from people I've never met but who for some reason read what I blogged.

I have heard it said that what people on the internet do is lie about who they are and use pseudonyms to say on-line what they would never tell people in person. Nah, that's not really true. ConcernedAbout, for instance, would undoubtedly tell me I'm some childish delusional person for actually being a Christian to my face. People may exagerrate aspects of themselves on the internet and, yes, there's a degree to which people do lie about themselves but most people are not so different on-line from who they are in face-to-face life.

Having said that I am not sure that anonymous comments should be seen as being made by people who are unwilling to identify themselves, though I know it may be tempting to see things that way. I tend to be a bit more prgamatic, and perhaps a bit more cynical, in supposing that it is essentially laziness that prompts anonymous comments. A person wants to speak up about a blog entry without actually logging in to a blogger username or any of that. They post an anonymous comment and have their say.

I have noticed that despite anything I might think I was really clear about it's always possible, even likely, for people to not get what I said. half the time I think this is because I was a sloppy, disorganized writer. The other half of the time I figure my blog comments section is simply being used as a way to generate traffic for the blogs of others and that commenting on anything I said is merely incidental to that goal. That's part of the deal, though, so that's fine. And those who decided to post as themselves did me the favor of speaking for themselves.

But there are also people who posted to disagree with me or to provide their own take on things I have written about. When anonymous I figure it is laziness rather than cowardice that spurred them to post anonymously. Really, since I've allowed for anonymous comments why bother to log in if you don't have a Blogger account?

In light of all that I'd like to say a word of thanks to the people who posted comments on the blog and did so from their own blogger account. Thanks to family, of fourse, for reading, thanks to Marie for reading when she has time, thanks to dwayne, thanks to wendy, thanks to quinalt, thanks to niccola, thanks to ConcernedAbout. Whether or not we have agreed on any issues at all some time of your day for reading is appreciated. Blogging is simply a form of entertainment in the end and I am glad if my little blog can be of some entertainment to you where ever you are at.

Yes, you too Concerned About. :) You might think my taking the biblical stories seriously as referring to things that happened is childish and dishonest but if that's the case you had better things to do with your time than comment on a blog. But you, too, posted as you, and that's something I do appreciate. Now I certainly have more interesting things to do with my time than to get into the differences between the Masoretic text and the Septuagint regrading the psalms, for instance, and I leave it to others to discuss the differences in emphasis and literary approach that exist in the way the synoptics handle a given parable that all three synoptists use ... but I trust readers get the idea. This blog is obviously about what I find interesting but is not all-inclusive.

And over time this blog has tended to be less and less about non-Spanish classical guitar repertoire, something I might change (or not) this upcoming year. I have also not written much about cartoons, either. I have no resolutions for the new year beyond composing more music, which I already tend to do anyway. I suppose I might also "resolve" to keep working on this blog. I anticipate that not many will read and that when people comment about 3/4 of the time it will be from people who don't quite get where I'm coming from.

No comments: