Monday, January 02, 2012

Bill MacKinnon riffs on Christianese and pop culture at the BHT

http://boarsheadtavern.com/2012/01/02/29158/


Instead we go straight to the gospel and ask, “Is this a reflection of Christ and his church? Does this come from a heart that has been radically altered by the gospel?

I see this, or things like this a lot, as advice when faced with a dilemma of some sort. Is it ok to do …….. (not just sex, but you can see this same advice for virtually anything).

Here’s the thing, and maybe this is just me: Do normal people really think like this?

Self: I wonder if I should go see the new Sherlock Holmes movie?

Self: Hold on buster, is watching Sherlock Holmes the kind of thing someone should do whose life has been radically altered by the Gospel?

Self: I’m not sure. I don’t really know what that means.

Self: Which means your (my) life probably hasn’t been radically altered by the Gospel.

Self: Does that mean I can watch the movie?

No comments: