Friday, May 27, 2016

Mark Driscoll's 9 simple ways to be a better friend might be a reminder to former Mars Hillians to ask when the last time was Mark talked to Mike or Lief.

http://markdriscoll.org/9-simple-ways-to-be-a-better-friend/

It's not very long and it's interesting that the way Mark Driscoll's website is set up you can't cut and paste quote.  Can't imagine what the benefit of that might since old fashion transcription hasn't become obsolete.

But since Driscoll's willing to post 9 simple ways to be a better friend it'd be interesting to have people who are following Driscoll these days ask when the last time was he talked to Mike Gunn or Lief Moi.  It's not that there aren't other names that could be mentioned, just that those two are fairly obvious in the history of Mars Hill ... or has Mark Driscoll heeded Munson's advice to "own it and move on?" 

POSTSCRIPT 05-28-2016
http://markdriscoll.org/what-is-a-godly-friend/

September 23, 2015 Grace Driscoll
...
3. If you are married, your husband will see her as an asset rather than a hindrance in your marriage. As women, it can tend to be easier for us to be friends with other women than it is with our husband. We more readily share vulnerability with women, confess sin with women, or ask for counsel from women. If our conversations with other women spark division in our marriage, it is not godly.

This does not come across like the same woman who told her husband the figure in the Book of Ruth he most resembled was Elimelech.  But then times were different in the previous decade.  If Grace Driscoll believes that if a woman's conversations with other women spark division in her marriage that it is not godly let's revisit what Mark Driscoll had to say about women who wanted to be friends with the pastor's wife back in 2008.

http://download.marshill.se/files/MH%20Vodcast%20Video/2008/20080205_the-devil_vodcast.m4v
February 5, 2008
Pastor Mark Driscoll
Part 2: The Devil
...
49:58
How about this one? Idle gossip and busybodying. 1 Timothy 5:11-15. THIS one is amazing. Ladies this one is especially for you. Some of you say, "Oh, it's not me." Yeah, it is. 1 Timothy 5:11-15, "but refuse to enroll younger widows for when their passions draw them away from Christ they desire to marry and so incur condemnation for having abandoned their former faith.  Besides that they learn to be idlers"
Women learn how to make a lot of free time. Going about from house to house. Well now it would be from email to email and from phone call to phone call. Technology makes idle busybodying far more effective than ever.

And not only idlers but also gossips. They like to talk about people. How are you doing? What are you doing? And this isn't sisterly accountability, this is "I need to know what everybody's doing because I like to know what everybody's doing and then I can tell other people what other people are doing and then I can say, `Hey, you need to pray for so-and-so.' and I can make it sound spiritual so that when I'm gossiping and busy-bodying I'm doing so in a way that seems really Jesus-like." And busybodies, they need to know what everybody's doing. They need to know what everybody's doing, saying what they should not. So I would have younger widows marry, bear children and manage their household, right? Stay busy, and give the adversary (that's Satan) no occasion for slander. For some have already strayed after Satan. Hmm.

A woman who's a gossip and a busybody; a woman who has to put her nose in everybody's business and knows what everybody's going on; know what they're doing, she's working with Satan. Now I know most women would say: "No, no, no. I'm not Satanic, I'm concerned. I'm not Satanic, I'm an intercessor. I'm a prayer warrior. I'm not Satanic, I'm an accountability partner.  I'm not Satanic, I'm a concerned friend."  Okay, you're a Satanic intercessory prayer warrior accountability partner concerned friend but just start the whole list with "Satanic" so that we don't misunderstand your job description. 

Now there's a difference between someone inviting you into their life and saying, "I want to be friends, I want to have an accountable  relationship." and you pushing yourself into everyone's life, okay?  I'll tell you, in the history of Mars Hill, I mean, I have had to put up a firewall, a moat, guard dogs, and a high wall with barbed wire on the top, and snipers behind it, around my wife. There are certain women who, they just need to know what Grace is doing and they are determined, they say things like, uh, "Hey, we need to have dinner with your family." [slight chuckle] No you don't. "Hey, we need to have coffee." No you don't.  "Hey, phone number." What? Nope. "Email." Nope.  Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope. Nope.

"Oh, come on." Nope.
"But I thought you were our pastor."
I am and my first lesson is to tell you you're Satanic.
"Oh, come on, in our last church the pastor's wife [sob] she was my best friend and I got to talk to her all the time."
Well, she was Satanic, too.  Give me her number, I'll call her and tell her. We'll help her out.
[emphasis added]

If Mark Driscoll reached a point in the past where he considered women who wanted to be friends with his wife Satanic what's to keep him from reaching such a point again? 

Well, if Grace Driscoll, by her own account, regards any conversation with women that sparks division between her and her husband to be ungodly (regardless of whether or not the other women intended that, to go by the sweeping verbiage) then perhaps the whole matter is moot.  Perhaps after so many decades a wife can learn what kinds of women her husband has already not wanted her to be friends with. 

Perhaps the proverbial firewall, moat, snipers and guard dogs aren't up now but it may be good to remember Driscolls past in case they make another appearance in the future.

No comments: