Thursday, February 04, 2016

RNS--Laura Turner notes Driscoll's return with some former Mars Hill staff sans any mention of Mars Hill, revisiting how a decade ago Driscoll said he thought of bailing on Mars Hill in a 2007 letter to MH

http://lauraturner.religionnews.com/2016/02/03/mark-driscoll-rising-from-the-ashes-in-phoenix/

...

Supporting Driscoll in his new endeavor are two other former Mars Hill staffers, Andy Girton and Brandon Andersen. As the Seattle Times pointed out, none of the three men mention their time at Mars Hill in their bios–all of which refer to their experience working in churches–which is a curious omission, because it would be difficult to find an evangelical Christian in the demographic Trinity Church is targeting who had not head of either Mark Driscoll or Mars Hill. - See more at: http://lauraturner.religionnews.com/2016/02/03/mark-driscoll-rising-from-the-ashes-in-phoenix/#sthash.K1WNA9Qo.dpuf

What's particularly striking is how back in 2010 Driscoll emphatically declared there were six reasons he wasn't going anywhere and wasn't going to leave Mars Hill. Of course a lot happened in the last five years and the following statement has been deleted as of this year.

If you want to read that 2010 statement go over here for another copy of the screen cap and the full text:
http://wenatcheethehatchet.blogspot.com/2015/07/mark-driscoll-from-july-6-2010-6.html


Then again, in a letter dated from the year 2007, in the wake of the controversial terminations and trials of Bent Meyer and Paul Petry, Mark Driscoll indicated that he was stressed and in poor health.

In fact it was about a decade ago, according to a letter Mark Driscoll wrote to Mars Hill members in late 2007:

http://joyfulexiles.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/elders-response-to-questions-11-9-07.pdf
A letter from Pastor Mark Driscoll
November 8, 2007
For me personally, everything culminated at the end of 2006. Despite rapid growth, the church was not healthy and neither was I.
...
I was working far too many hours and neglecting my own physical and spiritual well-being, and then I hit the proverbial wall. For many weeks I simply could not sleep more than two or three hours a night. I had been running off of adrenaline for so many years that my adrenal glands fatigued and the stress of my responsibilities caused me to be stuck “on” physically and unable to rest or sleep. After a few months I had black circles under my eyes, was seeing a fog, and was constantly beyond exhausted.
Nonetheless, the demands on me continued to grow as the church grew. We added more campuses, gathered more critics, saw more media attention, planted more churches, purchased more real estate, raised more money, and hired more staff. It was at this time that I seriously pondered leaving Mars Hill Church for the first time ever. I still loved our Jesus, loved our mission, loved our city, and loved our people. However, I sunk into a deep season of despair as I considered spending the rest of my life serving at Mars Hill Church. I simply could not fathom living the rest of my life with the pace of ministry and amount of responsibility that was on me.
... The illusion of unity our eldership had maintained over the years was kept in part by my tolerating some men who demanded more power, pay, control, and voice than their performance, character, or giftedness merited. While this was a very short list of men, as elders they had enough power to make life truly painful.

At the same time I began receiving other lucrative job offers that would allow me to study, preach, and write without all of the administrative duties and burdens for which I am not sufficiently gifted to be responsible for. For the first time in my life, the thought of leaving Mars Hill sounded very relieving. Since I had given ten years of my life to the church and love the people desperately, it was obvious to me that something was deeply wrong that such offers would even be intriguing. [emphasis added]

So in spite of years of saying otherwise, that he wasn't going anywhere and had no plans to leave, it would appear the history of Mark Driscoll privately thinking of hitting the eject button and taking more financially lucrative work elsewhere had been going on since ... well ... ten years ago.

In his book Propaganda, Jacques Ellul proposed that they most worship peace who prepare for war, ,perhaps a parallel could exist for those men who profess their loyalty while they privately consider abandonment? 

No comments: