Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Mark Driscoll's old Christians Gone Wild coming back as Good News for Bad Christians, the 2006 era 1 Corinthians sermons, an excerpt from part 22 to keep in mind, Driscoll on his idol being victory

Driscoll has announced that the old 2006 1 Corinthians sermons are coming back.  Formerly titled "Christians Gone Wild" the re:branded title is Good News for Bad Christians.
http://markdriscoll.org/an-update-from-the-office-of-pastor-mark-driscoll/

In keeping with the topic of recycling old stuff, Driscoll's also offering a History of Dating, which sounds like stuff that could date back as far as 2005 for that singles ministry kick-off event he spoke at.  The short version, for those who weren't there, was that contemporary dating is basically just prostitution with a veneer of social acceptability and that courtship is the way to go.  There might be a few modifications and provisos added in the last decade but on the whole it seems that Driscoll's been content to bring back a lot of stuff without adding very much and with a penchant for excising things that smack too strongly of Mars Hill financial updates.

For years Mars Hill had a 2001 era Proverbs series available to download without the "Lovemaking" sermon.  It's not as though there hasn't been a precedent even from the Mars Hill days for audio being held back that might be considered a bit racy or flamboyant.

Anyway, when the time for part 22 comes along for the re:cycled 1 Corinthians series, see if this quote is in there:

http://download.marshill.com/files/2006/06/18/20060618_resisting-idols-like-jesus_en_transcript.pdf.
RESISTING IDOLS LIKE JESUSPart 22 of 1st Corinthians
Pastor Mark Driscoll | 1 Corinthians 10:1-14 | June 18, 2006

...
Here’s the tricky part: Figuring out what your idols are. Let me give you an example. Let’s say for example, you define for yourself a little Hell. For you, Hell is being poor. For you, your definition of Hell is being ugly. For you, your definition of Hell is being fat. For you, your definition of Hell is being unloved. For you, your definition of Hell is being unappreciated. That fear of that Hell then compels you to choose for yourself a false savior god to save you from that Hell. And then you worship that false savior god in an effort to save yourself from your self-described Hell. So, some of you are single. Many of you are unmarried. For you, Hell is being unmarried and your savior will be a spouse. And so you keep looking for someone to worship, to give yourself to so that they will save you. For some of you, you are lonely and your Hell is loneliness, and so you choose for yourself a savior, a friend, a group of friends or a pet because you’ve tried the friends and they’re not dependable. And you worship that pet. You worship that friend. You worship that group of friends. You will do anything for them because they are your functional savior, saving you from your Hell. That is, by definition, idolatry. It is having created people and created things in the place of the creator God for ultimate allegiance, value and worth.


So here’s what we’re going to do. We’re going to get incredibly personal. This will get painfully uncomfortable if I do my job well. I’m going to ask you some probing questions. We’re going to try to get to the root of your idols and mine and I am guilty. I was sitting at breakfast this morning. My wife said, “So what is your idol?” I was like, “Hey, I’m eating breakfast! Leave me alone. I don’t want to talk about that.” I’m the pastor. I preach. I don’t get preached at. Eating bacon. Don’t ruin it. You know, it’s going good., And I told her, I said, “Honey, I think for me, my idol is victory.” Man, I am an old jock. More old than jock, lately, but I – I’m a guy who is highly competitive. Every year, I want the church to grow. I want my knowledge to grow. I want my influence to grow. I want our staff to grow. I want our church plants to grow. I want everything – because I want to win. I don’t want to just be where I’m at. I don’t want anything to be where it’s at. And so for me it is success and drivenness and it is productivity and it is victory that drives me constantly. I – that’s my own little idol and it works well in a church because no one would ever yell at you for being a Christian who produces results. So I found the perfect place to hide.

And I was thinking about it this week. What if the church stopped growing? What if we shrunk? What if everything fell apart? What if half the staff left? Would I still worship Jesus or would I be a total despairing mess? I don’t know. By God’s grace, I won’t have to find out, but you never know. [emphasis added] So we’re going to look for your idols, too. Some questions. Think about it. Be honest with me. What are you most afraid of? What is your greatest fear? See, that probably tells you what your idol is. Sometimes your idol is the thing that you’re scared of not having, not being, not doing. What are you scared of? You scared that you’ll be alone? Are you scared that no one will ever love you? Are you scared that you will be found out that you’re not all that smart? Are you scared that you’ll be stuck in the same dead-end job forever? What are you afraid of?

By God's grace he'd never have to find out, huh?

What about now?  Would giving Mark Driscoll another shot at planting another church simply feed into his idolatry, if we go by what Driscoll said about himself a decade ago?  Would battling the idol of victory for Mark Driscoll look less like helping him launch a church in Phoenix without having addressed what happened in Seattle and more like asking that he spend five years or so out of ministry to learn what it means to be the kind of submitted church member he spent almost two decades telling other people to be?  Maybe ... .

Mark's read the Bible so he's got to remember that the God of the Bible promised that Israel would sin in a way that would compel them into exile for a good long time.  When Abraham asked for some assurance how he would know he would be father to many the proof was what?  Something about hw Abraham's descendants would be enslaved in Egypt for centuries.  The trouble with Mark's idol of victory is not just that his real idol behind victory might be prestige, but that Jesus embraced the cross, and God has a history of sending His people into exile.  You don't get to choose the terms of your exile. That exile gets providentially chosen for you and delivered to you.  That Driscoll has had so much control over how he's been able to leave and how he intends to come back might be a providential argument against the possibility that his idolatry of victory has really taken a blow. After all, Driscoll opted to quit as membership declined. 

No comments: