Saturday, January 03, 2015

2-5-2008 spiritual warfare Part 3 part 5 commentary 5 Clinton Arnold CV and the book Driscoll referenced is now available on Kindle


I recommend that they keep a journal to record lies and accusations. Write `em down as they come so they can remember, "I believed this junk." And if they're married I them, "Go to your spouse and ask them, `Is this true? Am I an idiot? Am I a failure? Did Jesus not die for me? Should I kill myself?" Let people who love Jesus confirm and then I give them some recommended reading. Parts of the Bible, Clinton Arnold's book Answers to Three Questions About Spiritual Warfare. Things of that nature.

Along the remarkably sprawling session Mark Driscoll referenced a Clinton Arnold.  By 2008 the book Three Questions About Spiritual Warfare was apparently out of print. But ... it's now available in a Kindle edition and if you want to get some sense of who Clinton Arnold is ...

or a CV go over here  http://www.talbot.edu/faculty/profile/clinton_arnold/ ]

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Questions-about-Spiritual-Warfare/dp/0801057841

One of the things about keeping a journal is that it might have mixed results.  Was it in one of the cantos of Edmund Spenser's The Faeirie Queene that one person said to another that venting frustrations could ease their pain, to which the second person said that, yes, it could be giving voice to grief can distill its sorrow (i.e. "I might cry even more if I try to actually describe what just happened")?  Well ... anyway ... from that it may be proposed that a danger in journaling stuff might be that it cements conviction of things a pastor or counselor might consider lies.  It might be said that for those struggling with depression that keeping a journal might make things worse, that a person could get caught in the feedback loop of expressing their depression in ways that reinforce it. 

When Wenatchee The Hatchet has intermittently dealt with depression one intermittently useful adaptive strategy has been not to focus on depression or its potential or actual causes but to compose music.  The idea is to take up some kind of productive activity that redirects the mind and body. 

But we were discussing Clinton Arnold ... right?  Well, anyway, the name-dropping may just have to suffice because Wenatchee The Hatchet does have limits. It's not like transcribing maybe sixty percent of Mark Driscoll's 2008 spiritual warfare session was a walk in the park.

One last aside, though.  When Driscoll mentioned "ask the spouse", it's hard not to remember a story in which Mark Driscoll solicited Grace's thoughts on which person in the book of Ruth Mark Driscoll most resembled.

http://marshill.com/en/transcript/redeemingruth/gods-hand-in-our-suffering
January 7, 2007
Redeeming Ruth
Part 1: God's Hand in Our Suffering
Ruth 1:1-1:22


Let me wrap all of this up. As your pastor, who loves you very much – I say that sincerely – would you be as honest as Naomi today, and would you acknowledge that your life and mine are like Naomi and Ruth’s stories in which the providential hand of God is at work, in which he calls us to be honest and to run to him and one another as God’s people, to work out those parts of our life that we consider afflictions, but not yet have received them as sanctified? And would you identify yourself with someone in the story – who are you? How many of you, you’re Elimelech-ish? You’re Elimelech-ish. Elimelech is the guy – Everything falls apart. It looks dark. It looks bad. He takes a poll. He makes a plan. He decides Moab has a lower cost of living. Moab has more vocational opportunity. Moab has food on the table – I will make a plan. I will be the sovereign. I will take care of everything. Trust me, I know what I’m doing. He leads well. He plans well. He tries to be the sovereign. Everybody dies anyways.

I am Elimelech. I asked my wife, “Which one am I?” Oh, my wife – she didn’t even breathe. Didn’t even take a breath. “Oh, you’re Elimelech.” And his name means what? My God is King! That was me. If you ask me, Jesus, sovereign, Lord, King, God, and if I ever need ‘em, I’ll call, but I don’t think I do ‘cause I got this all taken care of. Elimelech-ish.

No comments: