Tuesday, December 23, 2014

going back more than ten years to the days when Driscoll described himself as an apostle, what that meant, and his fantasies of quitting ministry and driving bread delivery trucks

1 TIMOTHY 1:1-11
Part 2 of 1 Timothy
Pastor Mark Driscoll
1 Timothy 1:1-11
January 11, 2004

...
The secondary use of apostle is one who is a missionary or a church planter. Somebody who goes into an area that has a need for the gospel in the church. They preach about Jesus. People become Christians and a church gets formed. The difference between an apostle and a pastor is very profound. A pastor can take a church, love and grow and build a people. An apostle comes in where there is no church and starts something from nothing. It really is an entrepreneurial gift. Here, I function as apostle, not the big A apostle, eyewitness to Jesus, you know, you’ll love my new book of the Bible. Not that kind of apostle – but the small A apostle. The guy, who comes in, preaches and starts a church from nothing. That’s my gift. That’s what we do. We’ve been privileged to be part of an organization that started over 100 churches in the last three years. It’s actually headquartered here at the church, and our goal is to plant 30 more churches in the United States of America this year, alone. So you can pray for that. That’s what we do. We pull into an area. We find a leader. We raise money. We gather people and a church gets planted. The leader does that. Were looking for fellow apostles.


An apostle is someone who starts with an idea and a calling from God. Usually, it’s a guy in his underwear, walking around the living room of his house trying to figure out what is going to do. He’s got an idea. “I want a church. A lot of people. I want people to come to meet Jesus. I want to have a band. Oh, man. I gotta get a musician and a woofer. I need – I want to have people download my sermon. Oh no, I’m gonna need a computer. You know, we’re gonna have people. Uh oh, we gotta get people. They’re gonna need chairs. We gotta get chairs. We’re gonna need a roof. Oh my gosh. I better put my pants on. I have a lot to do.” That’s an apostle. An apostle’s got a big idea and has gotta figure out how to execute it. And Paul says he’s an apostle by the – by the command of God. That’s why he’s an Apostle.

Any of you guys who are thinking, “Oh, I’d like to be an apostle,” no you don’t. You don’t. You don’t. You’re only an apostle if God makes you an apostle. I didn’t want to be an apostle. I remember, as a brand new Christian, I was at a men’s retreat with my first church. It was a wonderful church that I thank God for, and I was praying and God spoke to me and he told me what to do with my life. And I thought, “Noooo. Not that.” Because see, part of my salvation prayer, part of my salvation prayer was that I wouldn’t be a pastor. Seriously. I remember thinking, “Man, if I become a Christian, I’m gonna have to be a pastor. If I become a pastor, my life’s going to stink. I want to go to Heaven. I don’t want to go to Hell but I don’t want to go into ministry. How can I go to heaven without going into ministry because ministry seems like Hell and I don’t wanna go to Hell and I don’t wanna go into ministry?”

And so I remember telling God, “God, here’s the deal. I know Jesus, you died for my sins. You rose for my sins. I love you. I’ll follow you. I’ll serve you. I’ll do whatever you want. I would just rather not be a pastor. Amen.” That was like my salvation prayer, literally my salvation prayer, and then God speaks to me a short time later at this men’s retreat and says, “Study the Bible, marry Grace, plant churches, and train men.” I’m like, “No! Come on. I don’t wanna do that.” And what you find is the majority of people in the Bible that are called of God are not excited. These aren’t like those freshmen in Bible College, you know, these guys are like, “No, come on! Come on! Not a pastor! I don’t wanna be a pastor. I wanna get a real job with, you know, I wanna, no. People are gonna call me and gosh!”
...
Is there ever a time, even if you love God, that you’re in ministry and you think about quitting? Yes. I call that Monday. Every Monday, every Monday I have – I love you, I love the church – but every Monday I have a bread truck fantasy. I will share with you my bread truck fantasy. My bread truck fantasy is that I drive a bread truck. That’s what I do. I get up on Monday, I go to the bakery. They hand me the keys to the bread truck. I’m in charge of bread. Bread doesn’t commit adultery. Bread doesn’t get its girlfriend pregnant. Bread does it have alcohol problems or DUIs. The bread truck doesn’t have, you know, unpredictable giving patterns. The bread – the bread’s just the bread. And I get in the truck and I turn on sports radio, and I don’t have a cell phone because I don’t need one. The bread can’t email me; has no urgent emergency. In addition, I don’t have an e-mail address or a website because it’s just bread. I drive around all day in the bread truck and what do I smell? Bread. And when I get hungry, I pull over and I put meat and cheese on the bread, any time I like. I deliver my bread all day to the bakery and then they take the bread off the truck. When it’s all done, I go home and you know what I think about? Nothing. Because there’s nothing else to do, there’s nothing else to think about. My job is done. On Friday, nothing. It’s a glorious fantasy that I have. Every time I see a guy in a bread truck, I’m coveting another man’s life. I’m thinking, “That guy is brilliant. That is a brilliant man. In the bread truck.” and the best thing with the bread truck is, if you get in a terrible wreck with the bread truck and you roll the bread truck in the bread goes everywhere – it doesn’t matter, it’s just bread. They’ll make more. There are days, in every minister’s life – it’s just Bread Truck Monday. That’s what it is. Every Monday, I have Bread Truck Monday, kay?
A season of driving a bread delivery truck is still possible, isn't it?

No comments: