Sunday, December 28, 2014

2-5-2008 spiritual warfare Part 3 part 2 commentary 1 Driscoll wouldn't presume even deacons were Christians but stopped short of pastoral suspicion, in spite of the recent firings of 2007


The first thing I do is "Tell me everything and read your Bible so you have an understanding of what we're talking about."

Moving on to page 8, here's what I do then. First, I share the Gospel with them and make sure they're a Christian. Do you love Jesus? Have you repented of your sin? Do you know, do you understand that Jesus' death was in your place for your sin? Do you have personal faith in the Lord Jesus alone?  I make sure they're a Christian. I don't assume anything. I don't care if they're a member of the church, I don't care if they're a DEACON in the church. I wanna make sure they're a Christian and sometimes I've been surprised. Some people, they don't really love Jesus. They don't really know him. So, first things first, they gotta be a Christian and you share the Gospel.

Driscoll stopped short of saying "pastor in the church" but it's not entirely clear why, seeing as he'd explained earlier in Part 1 about how false teachers, false pastors, false apostles and false evangelists abounded.  But why wouldn't he have made an assessment like that? 

Well ... perhaps that would raise an indelicate question about Mark Driscoll's own spiritual discernment and discernment of character. 

For instance, Bent Meyer was fired for questioning the eldership and for not respecting spiritual authority.  But who actively recruited Bent Meyer to be a pastor at Mars Hill to begin with?  None other than Mark Driscoll himself. 

Confessions of a Reformission Rev
Mark Driscoll, Zondervan 2006
copyright 2006 by Mark Driscoll
ISBN-13: 978-0-310-27016-4
ISBN-10:0-310-2-7016-2
page 151

To make these transitions, I needed to hand much of my work load to my elders and deacons so that I could continue to concentrate on the future of expansion of our church.  In some ways I longed for this day because it meant the weight of the church would be off my shoulders and shared with many leaders. In other ways I lamented not being able to invest in every young couple, experience the joy of officiating at so many weddings, or know everything that was going on in the church.

I asked our newest and oldest elder, Bent, to take over the counseling load that I had been carrying. [emphasis added] He was the first person to join our church who had gray hair, and he and Filipino wife, Joanne, were like rock stars with groupies since all the young people wanted to hang out with these grandparents that loved Jesus. My problem was I loved our people so much that if I got deeply involved in the pain of too many people's lives, it emotionally killed me, and I needed to do less counseling.

pages 156-157
Pastor Bent has launched a number of care and recovery groups for such things as sexual abuse, sexual addiction, and alcoholism. He is also training new elders to help shoulder this burden with him. Among them is Phil, who was the first father to show up in our church when we had less than forty people and who has risen up to become a pastor


In other words, if Driscoll recruited someone into leadership it would make his own spiritual discernment look really, really poor to say they weren't a Christian at all.  Let's also keep in mind that if Meyer took over Mark Driscoll's counseling load as far back as 2002 then the stories Mark Driscoll was regaling pastors with in early 2008 may have dated as far back as half a decade or more.  We can't be sure how involved Driscoll remained in pastoral counseling up through 2008 but it would seem by Mark Driscoll's own account he'd significantly scaled back his counseling of members as far back as 12 years ago and he designated Bent Meyer to take his place. 

No comments: