Monday, September 15, 2014

The BoE members part 6: Pastor Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers may be better known for more recent writing than what is quoted in full below.


From Pastor Matt Rogers:

This past Sunday outside our building about 60 professing Christians led a protest, left a bit of trash, and slandered good men. Inside the building our church family worshipped Jesus. Let that image be what defines us. Others will cast aspersions, but we will worship Jesus.
 
We cannot let fear rule our church. We must choose love. Choosing fear would lead us to attack those who are attacking us. Instead we will choose to love them by praying for them. Choosing fear will drive us to anger and bitterness which will spill out in how we talk about them, engage with them and eventually even with each other. Choosing love will be our witness to all the outsiders watching us right now that we forgive just as God in Christ forgave us. By refusing to give into fear we will commend Christ to our city.
 
Choosing fear shapes how we interact with each other as well. Choosing fear leads to second guessing and distrusting the statements of our leaders. Choosing fear leads to not standing up for the truth and the honor of good men because of what might come our way. Choosing love will enable us to show grace toward one another, to trust the Spirit at work in one another, and encourage each other to do the same.
 
Trust is a choice. At some point you simply have to choose to trust someone or not trust them. Extending trust to another Christian is trusting the Holy Spirit at work in them. Trusting a fellow Christian means that when there is sin the Spirit will bring repentance. Trusting a fellow Christian means trusting that they will be more like Jesus tomorrow than they are today. I don’t want to live with a heart filled with cynicism and fear. I simply don’t know how to love others when my heart filled with cynicism and fear.
 
As elders we should have done more to communicate with you. By not saying more clearly that much of what you read online is slander, half-truths and gossip we left you in a place of wondering what is true. When this recent storm began a few months ago I looked into all of it because I had a responsibility to as an elder. What I have consistently seen is a pattern of repentance when sin was present, growth when errors were made, and patience when the accusations were false.
Let me say very clearly that Pastor Mark, Pastor Dave and Pastor Sutton are honorable and trustworthy men. I count it a privilege to serve with them not because I have anything to gain, simply because it is true.
 
I am asking all of us to choose to live in a way that is joyful and trusting vs cynical and fearful. Meanwhile, others will remind us of our sin, but we will worship the Savior who died for our sins. Others will try to turn us against one other, but we will worship Jesus who gave His life so we could be one with Him. Others will try to keep us living in a past from which we have repented and changed, but we will worship Jesus who makes it possible for us to have a new beginning


Wenatchee The Hatchet already discussed the body of that text and mentioned some history of how Driscoll has talked about the likes of Dobson and Ken Hutcherson (who was part of the Antioch Bible Church community that sent Driscoll, Gunn and Moi out to plant Mars HIll Church to begin with) for the consideration of the public as to whether or not Driscoll himself could be considered to have spoken ill of other believers in the way Rogers considered protesters to have spoken ill of Mars Hill's executive leaders.

At the moment simply quoting Rogers' own words may be sufficient as he is a volunteer and relatively unknown compared to other names on the list in Mars Hill history.  Certainly compared to Hamilton or Smith, Rogers is not a historically notable name for the history of Mars HIll just yet, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be.

So, having said that:

https://marshill.com/2012/12/07/this-is-a-call-for-volunteer-pastors
This is a call for volunteer pastors
By: Pastor Matt Rogers
Posted: Dec 07, 2012

Halfway through the funeral service, I realized something about my grandfather I had missed for 30 years: he loved his church. The preacher described the life of my grandfather, talking about how he had spent the last 55 years of his life serving in one church as a volunteer elder, deacon, and Bible teacher, and baptized several of the people who prayed with and for our family. He even helped install the pews we were sitting on at his funeral.

At home, we found stacks of weekly church bulletins and sermon notes in his closets. There were at least a dozen Bibles scattered all over the house, although he was perfectly capable of reciting much of the Scripture from memory.

As I flew back home to Seattle, I felt a deep passion to change my own priorities in life to reflect who I truly am. I am not a marketing director. I am a sinner saved by the grace of God. I am a servant of Jesus Christ. If this is truly who I am, then it should shape everything about my life. I realized I needed to think differently about where I spend my time, how I lead and love my family, and how this should change the way I work.

Stepping into eldership at any church as a volunteer while working another full-time job and leading a family will require significant changes in all parts of your life. As I considered my own call to eldership, this advice I received helped me tremendously.

1. Pray

The increased demands and visibility of being a pastor at your church create fertile ground for temptation for yourself and your family. If you struggle with pride, pray that God will guard your heart as you step into a position of more authority and visibility. If you or your spouse struggles with fear of man, pray for protection that your heart would remain set on serving and pleasing our King.

2. Reset your schedule

Serving your church well as a volunteer elder will require you to make changes to your priorities in other areas. As I prayed about this next season of my life as a volunteer elder at Mars Hill, I decided to drop every other commitment beyond my family, my job and my church. I resigned highly visible board memberships with two non-profits, being careful to make as smooth a transition as possible. While I make a point to work hard for my employer, I have pulled back considerably on what used to be a grueling travel schedule. Within the church, I have also pulled back from some volunteer roles to focus on doing the work where a pastor can have the most impact.
3. Deeply involve your wife


Much of the elder assessment process is focused on the candidate, often much less on your wife. She may have fears and concerns that she does not know how to bring up without appearing to doubt the call God has put on your life. Make it comfortable for your wife to talk about these areas and ask lots of questions of you, other elders, and their wives. Although a husband being called to eldership does not accordingly bring a formal role for his wife, she may feel an increased pressure to serve more through entertaining, leading Bible studies or other activities. Your wife’s service to the church should flow from her God entrusted gifts and capacities considered along with the season of life she is in. It is important to be realistic about the increased time serving as elder will require and to involve your wife deeply in the changes in schedules and priorities. It is also an imperative for Christian men to ensure that your wife and family know where they fall on your priority list. My prayer is always to have a richer relationship with God first as the foundation for everything that follows. My second responsibility is to my wife and she is the only vote that counts on how I am doing with that prioritization. She has to feel this or it’s just empty words. My third responsibility is to my daughters, and fourth to the church. By keeping the church in this fourth position, I am actually serving the people of the church better than if they were a higher priority.

4. Recognize people are watching

As a pastor at your church, even a non-staff role, you represent the church. Whether it’s in a Bible study or talking with parents on the soccer field, the things you say and do reflect on your church. Being open about becoming a pastor will also open opportunities to share the gospel and to be a spiritual mentor for your co-workers and friends.

When you begin making adjustments to the prioritization of other areas of your life, it’s tempting to label those changes as a sacrifice. But serving as a volunteer elder is not a sacrifice. While it likely will require de-prioritizing other organizations, hobbies or time commitments, you’re replacing those things with something much richer. Having a front-row seat to the powerful work of God in the church is an enormous privilege and great joy.


No comments: