Sunday, January 19, 2014

remembering that we discuss other things here at Wenatchee The Hatchet ...

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/01/17/tiny-animated-film-ernest-celestine-takes-on-disney-dreamworks-at-oscars/?mod=Life_and_Culture_newsreel_2

Of course The Secret of Kells was going to lose to Up in 2009 but I thoroughly enjoyed both animated films.  Where Oscar presents competition animation fans can be glad Brunner's work even gets nominated.  Sure, Persepolis was going to lose to Ratatouille but I own and love both films.  Rather than lament that tiny animated productions don't have a chance to win Best Animated Picture let's remind ourselves of another more deeply entrenched bias in American cinematic and critical thought, that animation is basically and ultimately kid stuff and will never get a nod for Best Picture.  I know which of the films, Braveheart and Toy Story, is the more landmark and compelling film in cinematic history as far as I'm concerned!  Of course if you actually enjoyed Braveheart, all right, but I didn't much care for it. 

But we've gotten sidetracked.  There's no inherent conflict in catching Miyazaki films, Pixar films, and smaller productions.  :) 

2 comments:

CoffeeMatt said...

Oh man. Love The Secret of Kells. Our whole family does. I am listening to the sound track right this moment in fact. The Irish band Kila did the music for it.

Wenatchee the Hatchet said...

Kells is a lovely film and this reminds me I never managed to catch The Triplets of Belleville.