Saturday, March 16, 2013

What does repentance look like? A rabbi's perspective

What part of me is still a mean girl? I carry this question with me every day. I am a rabbi, so I consider what is, for me, one of Judaism’s most poignant teachings—repentance is never complete until, given the chance to sin again in the same way, we refuse.
 
Thoughts? As in thoughts about this definition of repentance, not about the woman as rabbi part.  Not interested in complementarians and egalitarians hashing things out over that stuff here.  This is a short summation of what a definition of repentance is. 

1 comment:

The Blog bites better than the Bullet. said...

I think that the rabbi is right. Right, because I can give lip-service to change, but if I really care to change from my heart, I will not go back from whence I came. This is how I determine if someone really cares about my feelings or not: if they hate hurting me and try to avoid hurting me in the same way ever again, I know they truly love me.