Saturday, March 09, 2013

Internet Monk: Radical Enough? Part one

http://www.internetmonk.com/archive/dan-jepsen-radical-enough-part-one

Just a link will suffice here, seeing as the link tells you what's to come.  As a former Pentecostal I saw more than my share of sentiment that said that if you just cut loose and got on fire for the Lord that amazing things would happen.  I grew up in a cultural setting in which revival was the official big goal and hope for America, if revival came along America would be better.  In my teens I took that pretty seriously, or so I thought.  By my twenties as I did a bit more of a survey of church history I began to distrust revivalism not only in terms of Second Great Awakening figures and their theology but also the frequently political aims that seemed to be the subtext of a lot of revival talk.  If God was used as a means to an end then the real goal was not revival so much as what revival was expected to lead to.

As D. G. Hart has proposed in at least one book evangelicals may imagine that dedicated evangelicalism would lead to voting for certain types of Republicans but historically this is not demonstrably true.  Anyone still remember Mark Hatfield?  Native Oregonians probably, the rest of you may understandably have never heard of him.

Anyway, I make no bones about saying that i grew up in a setting where being radical and sold out was valuable and now I tilt more toward what some might call the God of the Mundane (though I haven't read that book yet, discretionary income being at enough of a premium that there's a backlog of things that aren't music for this composer/guitarist to explore at the moment).

No comments: