Saturday, November 17, 2012

HT Jim West: Beale lectures on the use of Old Testament in New Testament documents


http://zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com/2011/03/26/beale-on-the-old-testament-in-the-new/

The subject of the OT in the NT has been near and dear to my heart since ThM days when I wrote my thesis on John’s use of Isaiah. So many thanks to Cliff Kvidahl for mentioning this-
Last week, Dr. Greg Beale (Professor of New Testament and Biblical Theology) gave the Gheens Lectures at Southern Seminary. His topic was the New Testament’s use of the Old Testament, one for which Dr. Beale has written extensively on. His three lectures were:

Recent Developments in Old Testament in New Testament Studies that Challenges the Organic Integrity of the Testaments
A Classic Proposed Example of the Misuse of the Old Testament in the New Testament: Hosea 11:1 in Matthew 2:15
The Problem of Allusion and the Implications for Interpretation and Biblical Theology

It's an old post (from more than a year ago) but for folks into lectures on biblical texts these are fun. 

Got other things I hope to blog about over the next week but the holiday season is upon us and some of the stuff I hope to blog about requires some things like, well, score analysis and note-taking.  Chamber Music 3 may turn into another linkathon more than a set of essays.  I keep wanting to come back to a blog post idea in which I go through the cyclical development of a set of ideas in Koshkin's sonata for flute and guitar .... but anyone who even knows that work knows just how much work such a project would actually be.  I don't know if I'd say you could net a master's thesis from that level of musicological work ... but it's work all the same.  It's going to be worth eventually getting to because I think the sonata for flute and guitar is one of Koshkin's most substantial both in terms of sheer size and in terms of the developmental economy of his thematic material.  I wish I could say the guitar sonata he wrote for Papendreou was at the same level but ... that'd be another blog post for another time.  Much as I have enjoyed many pieces by Koshkin he can fall prey to a propensity to under-develop musical ideas in exchange for a dramatic, blustery texture or gesture ...

But this blog post is "technically" a set of links to lectures given by Greg Beale on Old Testament texts in New Testament texts. :)  Again, HT to Jim West.

3 comments:

chris e said...

My problem with this sort of thing (and indeed this set of lectures) is that it represents the very slow assimilation of some aspect of biblical critical studies.

In that sense, the automatic hermeneutic of suspicion that evangelicals direct as such things can lead to strangely skewed scholarship. For instance, work on Hebrews that miss out all the Nag Hammadi material on Melchezidek.

I mean - it's got to a bad place when something like the Bible Geek is more honest (though no less opinionated) than most christian theology podcasts.

Wenatchee the Hatchet said...

I'm super rusty on Hebrews commentary. I haven't even completed William Lane's commentary and I actually knew Lane for a short while. :(

It's tough to think of any evangelicals off the top of my head that even mention Nag Hammadi anything or intertestamental literature, though if memory serves F. F. Bruce spent some time on the Gospel of Thomas, didn't he?

Wenatchee the Hatchet said...

Not entirely sure if the slow assimilation you mention is something you consider a good or bad thing, chris e. The wording of the first comment is evocative but sparse and I've been thinking much more about music than biblical studies these days. Hope to have a few new musical posts soon. :)