Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Twenty years ago today Batman: the animated series had its debut

Today is a significant day for cartoon fans as the classic series developed by Bruce Timm and Paul Dini on the DC character had its premiere.  A couple of years ago when DZ asked me if I'd be willing to write a primer on the DC animated universe I was more than happy to do so.

What was originally conceived (I suspect by both of us) as something small and straightforward slowly  but inevitably expanded into something much bigger.  We were probably only thinking of about 1500 words.  Well, what has been happening is not even done yet and is bigger.  

I could write something today commemorating the classic series but instead I'll link to everything I've written about the DCAU and its historical setting.  Here you get to see the published order via links but you also get to see the intended reading order for the series so far.  Part 6 isn't up yet and there's one more piece to wrap up.  I do write a lot but I also have friends and family and a social life and I wasn't going to just spend my Labor Day weekend writing about Batman.  I went to church, I played music, I composed some music for alto flute and guitar.  

Anyway, for those who might not have read this stuff yet here's the stuff.  You can consider Parts One and two to be basically self-contained if you like.  Part Three builds on that organically and Parts Four and Five are not yet written. 

PART ONE
Cartoon Nostalgia, Cartoon Revolutions


PART TWO
Batman: The Agony of Loss and the Madness of Desire

Part 6a-d of this set of essays, "Crossing Thresholds", is stuff I hope can go up soon.  Though it was published first the Superman series is intended to be seen as a "chapter three" in this project and is intended to come before the pending essays on Justice League/Justice League Unlimited (projected Part Four). [EDIT: 10/26/2012 now the final three parts are up, too).

PART THREE
Superman: An American Icon at War with (and for) His Own Legacies


So there you have it, the complete essays written for Mockingbird so far.  There's more planned but this is the stuff that's already up and available to read.  I hope you enjoy it. 

No comments: