Wednesday, June 27, 2012

a question--has anyone written a sonata form that includes the banjo?

You don't have to guess too hard why I would be asking this question.  Surely someone has written a work for the banjo that makes use of sonata allegro form, right?  Maybe a duet? Maybe a solo banjo sonata?

I've got an idea taking shape for a sonata for banjo and guitar.  I've been thinking of writing one for a couple of years but this year I've finally got some ideas to play with. If anyone knows of a bona fide sonata form written for banjo or that includes banjo comment away.  I'm curious.

2 comments:

CoffeeMatt said...

Well, it doesn't look like Bela Fleck ever wrote one of his own. Could be a tall order. :)

Wenatchee the Hatchet said...

I know a couple of banjo players. I'll just have to see what I can do. After completing all 24 preludes and fugues for solo guitar a couple of sonatas for banjo might be comparatively easy. :)